Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open the NAS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Open the NAS

I just did a clean install of XUbuntu 20.04. All was well and the problems I was starting to get with the old system cleared up nicely. One new problem arose though. When I browse the network I can see my NAS, but It won't open. It just says Failed to open "D-Link-NAS-5". I don't have any special security on it. When I first connect on a couple of old computers I have it brings up a password window but I just click connect and it connects anyway. This computer was connecting fine this morning before the rebuild. Any suggeations would be welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Open the NAS

NFS or CIFS connection?
    Have you tried manually mounting it from the terminal? When you do that, what are the errors shown?

Beans
    Distro

I have not done anything specific to set up a network connection, so I do not know how it is trying to connect. What I have done is install XUbuntu and open Thunar. The bottom entry on Thunar (left pane) is Browse Network. When I click that it shows 2 entries on the right hand side. The first is D-Link-NAS-5 and the other is Windows Network. If I double click Windows Network it opens that, but it is empty. That is probably because I haven't set up file sharing on the windows machine. I could probably do that but I don't particularly want to. What i want is the 2 desktop machines and the 2 laptops to all have access to the NAS.

When I double click D-Link-NAS-5 I get the message 'Failed to open "D-Link-NAS-5"', and below that 'Failed to retrieve share list from server: Software caused connection abort.'

On the Windows system the path to the NAS is \\D-LINK-NAS . I have tried to connect to it using Gigolo in as many configurations as I can think of, i.e FTP, SSH, and WebDAV. Usually the name cannot be resolved. I'm afraid my terminal skills are lamentable. I have gone onto Ubuntu help to look for the correct commands, but what I got was software ad's aimed at a much higher level of network administration.

I think it's important that I had access to the NAS this morning, and the XUbuntu computer that runs my TV has access, so the problem seems to have been caused by the new installation.

I would be very grateful for help, particularly in what terminal commands to use to resolve this.

Beans
    Distro

I tried various versions of the following command - sudo -t ftp mount D-Link-NAS-5 .

ie. I tried it with D-LINK-NAS and \\D-LINK-NAS
    I always got hhe reply "can't find in /etc/fstab."

I know this is just lack of knowledge. Please help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....3#post12701873 ?

That's my best guess. Install the package it says. That might be enough. There have been changes to defaults for samba. I've read in these forums that only the cifs mounts work reliably now. That link has an example. These forums are full of threads for similar issues that you can try.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 28th, 2020 at 04:06 PM.

Beans

'Failed to retrieve share list from server: Software caused connection abort.'
    Your NAS can only speak the smb1 dialect of samba. The version of samba in 20.04 disables it.

You can re-enable it if you want.

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add this one:
    Code:
    client min protocol = NT1
    Then reboot your Xubuntu box.

Notes:

*** If you have no smb.conf file and you have no intention of sharing anything on your Xubuntu box to others install the samba client:
    Code:
    sudo apt install smbclient
    Then you will have a smb.conf file to edit.

*** If the version of samba on your NAS is really really old you may need to add another option in Xubuntu under the first one you added:
    Code:
    client lanman auth = yes
    Last edited by Morbius1; October 28th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm struggling
    First I installed cifs-utils
    Then I added a user to the NAS. Previously I had always logged on as guest.
    Then I edited /etc/fstab by adding the line
    # to mount the NAS
    //92.168.1.73/D-Link-NAS /D-Link-NAS-5/volume_1 cifs auto,users,credentials=/etc/cred,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0 770 0 0
    I created a file called /etc/cred
    Then I changed the last line to
    //D-Link-NAS-5/volume_1 /media/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

None of this worked. The message is always as shown earlier

I think I am missing something at the conceptual level

Beans
    Distro

Sorry Morbius 1, I had missed your post. Thanks. I'll get to that now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.

Beans

//92.168.1.73/D-Link-NAS /D-Link-NAS-5/volume_1 cifs auto,users,credentials=/etc/cred,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0 770 0 0
    If you are doing a cifs mount you have the same problem but the rules change because CIFS is Linux kernel based and does not look at smb.conf. THe equivalent to the changes in smb.conf in a cifs mount is to add two more options to your list:

vers=1.0 and maybe sec=ntlm

So your cifs mount becomes:
    Code:
     //92.168.1.73/D-Link-NAS /D-Link-NAS-5/volume_1 cifs  auto,users,credentials=/etc/cred,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0,sec=ntlm 0 0
    OR:
    Code:
     //D-Link-NAS-5/volume_1 /media/windowsshare  cifs  guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0,sec=ntlm  0  0
    Last edited by Morbius1; October 28th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast