Thread: Attachment facility not working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Attachment facility not working

I have been trying to attach a recently taken screenshot, a 47.1kb png, to a post using the normal paperclip icon in the toolbar but nothing is happening and the image is not being added.

What's going on; any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Attachment facility not working

picture_2020-05-16_17-33-32.jpg

Hmmm... Farmer QIII seems to work. Are you hosting computer gremlins?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Trying a .png to be sure.

traffic.png

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Something transient maybe? Is the problem persisting?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will try on another machine later when available, and I'll also try the old "reboot" trick to see if that kills the gremlin !

I have just tried again on the same laptop and thread I was at last night https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13995662 and still can not add the image I wanted to.
    I will now attempt to add it to this thread just as a test. Here we go!

No! Still not working on this machine on this thread. The attachment window appears as usual and all seems OK until I select the image from the Browse button as it does not appear in the bottom pane of the attachment window when I upload.
    I will also try deleting all cache and cookies (this is on firefox, but I had the same problem on chromium last night) and will report back later.
    Also just tried using firefox in safe-mode but still no joy!

EDIT:
    Now on my desktop machine instead of the laptop and about to try on this to add another attachment.

Oh joy! It's working on this machine so I assume it must be something in the config of firefox on the laptop.
    I'll replace that and see where we go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 27th, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just for my peace of mind I have now renamed the old ~/.mozilla folder on the laptop and started firefox with a completely new configuration.
    Trying attachment once again; here goes!

Still not working so must be something else on this laptop. I am now becoming totally baffled!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, this gets stranger and stranger!

I have now booted into Arcolinux-Xfce which I run in dual boot with Xubuntu on the laptop and just added the png attachment to the thread that caused last night's difficulty, but this time without a problem.
    Looks as if there may be a problem with my laptop installation of Xubuntu-20.04, or at least something not quite right with it that I have to admit I just can not figure out at present.

Trying again back in Xubuntu; this time dragging a previously used attachment file into the bottom pane of the attachment window and I think it may have worked. I will also straight away try adding another new attachment png to see what happens.

Yippeee!!! All seems to be OK again so this may have been one of those very annoying intermittent glitches that are always just about insoluble.

I will keep an eye on this in future when I next need to add an attachment, but here's hoping I will not see this any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 27th, 2020 at 09:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would have blasted off and nuked it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure, man!

Ya. Those transient/intermittent things are frustrating.