View Poll Results: Share with us your Upgrade/Installation Experience

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.

5 38.46%
  • Upgrade - Worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though..

0 0%
  • Upgrade - Had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

0 0%
  • Install - Worked flawlessly.

4 30.77%
  • Install - Worked but had a few things to fix.

2 15.38%
  • Install - Had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

2 15.38%

Thread: Share with us your Groovy Gorilla installation/Upgrade Experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Share with us your Groovy Gorilla installation/Upgrade Experience

Groovy Gorilla was released October 22, 2020, so it's time for a new poll. Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Groovy Gorilla.

This thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

The previous poll can be found here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2441657

Beans

Re: Share with us your Groovy Gorilla installation/Upgrade Experience

I did two upgrades from Ubuntu 20.04 to 20.10 - both were uneventful and quick. I used the Software Updater tool which informed me of the upgrade. I have been operating Ubuntu in a VM starting with Ubuntu 19.04, and this is now the third upgrade: 19.04 > 19.10 > 20.04 > 20.10. So far, all the VM upgrades have gone well.

My procedure has been to clone the current OS version, then upgrade the clone to the next version. This way, should something go amiss with the upgrade to the new version, the previous version is still intact and working.

There was only one minor issue this time: One gnome-shell extension (Panel OSD) proved incompatible and will need an upgrade for gnome-shell 3.38 from the maintainer.
    I corrected this with the fix found in the user reviews at:
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/708/panel-osd/

Attached: memory usage of Ubuntu 20.10 after startup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; November 2nd, 2020 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

Post Re: Share with us your Groovy Gorilla installation/Upgrade Experience

I have been using the same setup for the last 5-6 years: mbr with /, swap and /home partitions. 4-5 weeks ago I backed up my files and did a clean install of Xubuntu 20.04, letting iinstaller do its magic for the first time. Interestingly It created a boot/efi partition and an extended partition like this: sda1: boot/efi, sda5: /; system running perfectly. Last week I added Kubuntu 20.10 to the mix, ending with 2 boot/efi partitions (am not sure, though. First one could be a grup partition), two /; both systems perfect. I have a 9 year old laptop which heats easily. Kubuntu almost outperformed Xubuntu so I decided to wipe out everything and install Kubuntu 20.10 only. I chose automatic full disk option again and ended up sda1: unknown, sda2:/bootefi, sda3:/ (no extended partition this time); everying running peachy again. Kubuntu uses sda2. Is it a feature or a bug?
    The partition table is as follows:
    /dev/sda1 unknown 1.00 Mib
    /dev/sda2 fat32 /boot/efi 513 MiB
    /dev/sda3 ext4 /

Installer changed partition table from mbr to gpt on its own.

Just to let you know because not many people left using mbr.

Beans

I ran a clean new install of 20.10 about 60 days ago. The only issue was a fairly frequent reboot and or Google Chrome lock up and sometimes frozen green screen. It always occurred when I was watching YouTube videos and rarely when watching videos on other sites. I tried all the suggested fixes but to no avail. Two weeks age I installed the Chromium browser. I works with Google as well as Chrome does but it has run flawlessly even after a continuous 4 hour run on connected videos on YouTube. I'm running an AMD Ryzen 5 3400 with Raedon Vega graphics.

Beans

Installed to KVM and had same problems as after installing 20.10. or 20.04 or 19.10 or 19.04 or 18.10 or 18.04 or 16.04 (GNOME) (doesn't matter if in KVM or on baremetal)... Always same little problems.

Login screen is on incorrect display. As main display is default set external monitor instead laptop display. When I set in settings main display, it doesn't set for login screen, what help is simple command:

Code:
    sudo cp ~/.config/monitors.xml ~gdm/.config/monitors.xml
    sudo chown gdm:gdm ~gdm/.config/monitors.xml

after this it's work as expected.

But well instalation itself was fine.
    Last edited by mlocik97; April 22nd, 2021 at 09:58 PM.