Thread: Move files and directories into a non-empty directory

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Move files and directories into a non-empty directory

Hi,

I was looking for a way to move content of a directory (files + sub-directories) into another directory.
    I understood that MV command does not move content if destination directory includes some directories that are not empty.
    Therefore i check rsync that seems to do it correctly, except that i would like to remove from source directory, all files and sub-directories that were successfully move to destination.
    I saw rsync has an option --remove-source-files, but it deals with files only.

Therecore is there a command line or option to remove source content (files + directories) after successful move to destination directory ?
    thx
    what does not kill you, makes you stronger

Ubuntu 20.04 - KDE Plasma 5.18- Kernel 5.4.x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Move files and directories into a non-empty directory

I would use rsync, then use an inverse-recursive rmdir to clean up empty directories. Then I'd assume that any directories that aren't empty, had some other issue.

I've never used the --remove-source-files option. I'd just run, then re-run the rsync without that option, but with progress and status options so any non-copied files would be clear. That would tell me clearly if there are issues or not. Then use a rm -rf on the source when all was clear.

And I would have excellent backups for all directories involved before beginning any of this.