Thread: Power consumption and screen brightness issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Power consumption and screen brightness issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Good afternoon everybody,

I recently bought a new laptop (an Asus Vivobook S15 with a Ryzen 5 4500U and no dedicated graphic card) with windows preinstalled on it.

Since I'm studying computer science, I installed Ubuntu on it (not without pain - mostly because the network card in the notebook was not recognized by Ubuntu) and I started using it on a regular basis.

I very quickly noticed two problems : first, even when I put the computer in sleep mode, there is still a very important power consumption. I tried to look into the parameters, but still didn't find any solution.

The other problem is the impossibility to change the brightness of my screen : nothing happens when I use the keyboard shortcut or when I try to change it directly in the ubuntu menu.

Does someone have any idea about a way to solve these bugs ?

Thanks by advance.

Sincerely yours,

Elias.

Beans

Re: Power consumption and screen brightness issues on Ubuntu 20.04

In my experience, if it is an older laptop and the backlight control doesn't work already, then it will never work. I once solved this issue by soldering a resistor in series with the backlight PSU, but that means you need to open it and know how to wield a soldering iron.

Beans

Re: Power consumption and screen brightness issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Thanks for your answer !

The laptop is very recent (2020).

Best regards,

Elias.