Thread: Ubuntu has jumped the shark due to sound issues

Beans

Ubuntu has jumped the shark due to sound issues

Pulseaudio has always been heinously glitchy and less than fully compatible with applications. Workarounds lead to a big mess after OS upgrades.

This could be handled while there was enough of a community to actually fix all the nonsensical issues that cropped up. There's just not, anymore. The system is too big, and gets too broken, for the issues it generates to be resolved easily enough to be worth the effort.

When an OS upgrade makes me have to force-restart ALSA right after booting, and nobody has the slightest clue what happened in the upgrade to cause that, then screw the upgrade. Screw a clean install too. Not. Worth. It.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu has jumped the shark due to sound issues

Perhaps you might ask how you can volunteer?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Ah yes, the old "nothing's wrong with it if you didn't volunteer" gag.

Let's judge the best linux distribution only by how well it works for developers, not for general users. That's a fine standard.

Canonical, it's over. Switching.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lennart Poettering is everywhere - Pulseaudio and Systemd. Systemd took over Ubuntu, Red Hat and even Arch, and others. And it is not PC to discuss this.

Fortunately there are some distros without Systemd like PCLinuxOS, which is very good and stable.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Given that this horse has been beaten to death so often by so many, it has been moved to Recurring Discussions as the more appropriate forum.

Beans

I joined the Ubuntu forums just to add my two cents to this discussion. Pulse Audio is a darned embarrassment. I've been a Network Systems Engineer for nearly 30 years. I'm pretty up to speed on how to manage the modern Linux Environment, and I've been working with Linux distros for longer than I can remember. It is absolutely by god ridiculous that sound drivers have such a MASSIVE amount of problems. I'm not saying I will not continue to use Ubunutu (I use Kubuntu as my primary workstation) but that is only because it's worth it to me to sort the issues with sound. However, I could not and will not ever roll Ubuntu out in any business setting as a workstation for end users for that one reason. There is no way I'm setting my dept. up to have to sort out sound issues constantly. This all comes to a head for me with Ubuntu 20 releasing 64 bit to run on Raspberry Pi 4. Everything works great except for... sound. Sound profiles don't survive reboot (as usual) so sound output must be set every single boot. Now tell me there is an excuse for that. Total failure to address a core function of a modern OS is a darned embarrassment. I would hang my head in shame if I was responsible for sound on Debian / Ubuntu I really would. Grow up, put on your big boy pants and fix it. Simple as that.
    Last edited by seanlarabee; December 9th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.