Thread: Offline upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04

Beans

Offline upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04

Hi

I have a simple question - is it possible to perform this upgrade offline (desktop version)? I mean - to download proper ISO first and then do the upgrade. I'm asking because I have poor network connection (only LTE/3G) and I'm afraid that standard upgrade might be interrupted. I understand that afterwards still I'd have to do the update of the packages but all of that would happen on the new system. In my view it would be a safer procedure. Thank you for any help.

Best regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Offline upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04

This is an old wiki page that explains how to set up an off-line set of repositories. It might still be useful.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...ine/Repository

I suggest that you take 18.04 back to a basic install. I am also wondering if a fresh install without having updates during the installation process would be safest . Downloading a ISO image might use less data and take less time than an On-line upgrade.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In my experience, you're looking at a new install, not an OS upgrade. Already an online upgrade is hairy. Unfortunately, you don not say which flavour you'using.

Beans

Thanks for the answers. I'm using [Ubuntu 18.04 LTS _Bionic Beaver_ - Release amd64 (20180426)] and I'm looking for the upgrade. What about doing some tricks like replacing "http://PATH_TO_REPOSITORY" with "file://PATH_TO_DOWNLOADED_PACKAGES" somewhere in the file defining repositories ("/etc/apt/sources.list" or maybe another one)? Can it be feasible?