Thread: python3 problem upgrading 20.04 -> 20.10

Question python3 problem upgrading 20.04 -> 20.10

So I'm trying to upgrade Xubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10, but I get stopped at the beginning with:

Code:
    Checking for a new Ubuntu releaseGet:1 Upgrade tool signature [819 B]                                                                                                                                                     
    Get:2 Upgrade tool [1,338 kB]                                                                                                                                                            
    Fetched 1,339 kB in 0s (0 B/s)                                                                                                                                                           
    authenticate 'groovy.tar.gz' against 'groovy.tar.gz.gpg' 
    extracting 'groovy.tar.gz'

Reading cache

Checking package manager

Can not upgrade 

Your python3 install is corrupted. Please fix the '/usr/bin/python3' 
    symlink.
    I did some searching and saw that this can be caused by not having python3 point to the version of python your release originally came from. But mine does (just about).
    Code:
    $ /usr/bin/python3 --version
    Python 3.8.5
    Granted it's 3.8.5 and not 3.8.2, but does that little difference matter? Do I actually have to downgrade?

I am using update-alternatives, but 3.8.5 is the only 3.8 installed.

Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/bin/python3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun  3 21:21 /usr/bin/python3 -> /etc/alternatives/python3

$ sudo update-alternatives --config python3
    There is only one alternative in link group python3 (providing /usr/bin/python3): /usr/bin/python3.8
    Nothing to configure.

Please advise... thanks!

Re: python3 problem upgrading 20.04 -> 20.10

This can be closed.

It turns out the problem was not that I had python 3.8.5 instead of 3.8.2. Instead, it was the symbolic linking that update-alternatives does to /usr/bin/python3. Removing the chained symbolic links and linking directly to /usr/bin/python3.8 like it would be without update-alternatives resolved the 20.10 upgrade problem, even though python was still 3.8.5 and ultimately still referring to the same binary.

I didn't have to change python versions and am now on Xubuntu 20.10.