Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20.04.1 is the HARDEST Ubuntu install ever

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 20.04.1 is the HARDEST Ubuntu install ever

Quote Originally Posted by Unterseeboot_234 View Post
    That link for 20.04 was a 2-hour download over fiber-optic cable.

I would say my problem is the ubuntu install script. 20.04 at least has a boot screen in proper resolution. During installation there are a LOT of artifacts on the screen -- the graphics rendering doesn't clean up dirty areas of the Desktop. The final reboot brings up an unusable windows framework where you can't find buttons or the window actions.

Ubuntu 20.04.1 never invokes the xconf server to do the graphics.

Ubuntu 20.04 beta is mis-using xconf because Ubuntu expects device information coming from my monitor over a VGA cable.

Buying new hardware to accommodate an OS upgrade reminds me of Macintosh. I want Ubuntu Mate but I just may have to settle on Linux Mint Cinnamon. Mint presents.

Any ideas?
    I live far out in the country on our farm. I don't want to pay Comcast the quoted $15,000 to run cable. Satellite is too slow and spotty in my location. My ISP is a bulk reseller of AT&T cellphone bandwidth which I catch on a Yagi antenna. My typical download speed tests are about 50Mbps. I just downloaded 20.04.1 in < 8 minutes with ktorrent. I downloaded the release of 20.04 from the URL I cited (not the beta) over http in < 15 minutes. My own pipe was not saturated. Canonical is not in control of how quickly you can download except to the extent that their pipe is saturated, which is variable and based on demand. Canonical is not a large company with unlimited resources.

I spun a VM for 20.04.1 and installed it without issue in 8:39. Granted, that was from this machine where the image was downloaded to NVMe and the qcow2 is on a mechanical drive on another server on my LAN. Note that I have a dedicated NIC for each of my VMs, so the communication of the data downloaded during install was unhindered just as a bare metal install.

Using KVM as my VM software, the installation process was done in low resolution. However, on restart I was able to change the resolution to 1920x1080 easily.

If NVIDIA has discontinued the driver that your machine requires, that's not on Canonical. Then Nouveau driver is a best-guess back-engineered attempt at providing an alternative for a closed-source, proprietary driver. The fact that NVIDIA keeps its driver closed source is not on the Linux community nor on Canonical specifically.

You are certainly having problems and we will have to see if someone has a better answer for you. Rather than casting aspersions or resorting to secundum quid, working at a solution would be beneficial to you and anyone else having similar issues.

My idea: read through oldfred's post and see if there is any help for you there. I suspect that he is on the right track and the issue is your graphics hardware. Remember that the volunteers who develop Nouveau are always scrambling with NVIDIA hardware and may simply not have the time and resources to keep the driver backwards compatible with older hardware.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have a PCIe card on the way. I'll install that new card and try installation one more time. I want to hang on to the motherboard I've got because it comes with firewire 1.0 and that connects my DV-camera.

My computer won't boot from USB. I tried install with LiveCD safe mode, internet disconnected and minimal install with no other update, third party. Upon installation I had the beautiful desktop and then the dialog to restart, remove media. Computer boots, Ubuntu loads. Logon screen looks darn good! Password. Pause. Shattered graphics with no GUI. Hold Power button for 5 secs to crash out.

I'm still working on it. I will announce if I did get 20.04.1 installed or if I gave up on Ubuntu.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you you are bandwidth limited learn about zsync.

I have not downloaded a full Ubuntu ISO for years.
    I started using zsync for the daily as it would just have minor changes.
    And when I zsync'd last daily with release there was few changes, but a name change of ISO, which I copy ISO & rename it first.
    And when I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu I zsync'd that and it was about 50% same.

If you install 20.04, and update you will have 20.04.1. I did not think they were changing installer.
    But 20.10 does have major changes as now they are using grub2 to boot both BIOS & UEFI versions in the ISO.

Rename daily from Monday & it was 91% the same:
    Code:
    fred@Z170N-focal:~/ISO$ zsync http://releases.ubuntu.com/focal/ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync

#################### 100.0% 2711.6 kBps DONE     

reading seed file ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso: 

Read ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso. Target 91.0% complete.      
    downloading from http://releases.ubuntu.com/focal/ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso:
    #################### 100.0% 7988.2 kBps DONE      
    verifying download...checksum matches OK
    used 2471415808 local, fetched 244168352
    Last edited by oldfred; October 22nd, 2020 at 09:07 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you you are bandwidth limited learn about zsync.
    <snip>
    Same here, and i usually zsync an iso of several of the different DE versions of the Ubuntu family and then install them as VMs using KVM, just to check that Xubuntu is still my rightly chosen version.

The difference between the DE versions is a great deal smaller than getting the whole iso file perhaps by a margin of having to download only 10% of the full iso size.
    I already have Xubuntu. Ubuntu and Kubuntu as the 20.10 versions available as VMs to see how they are doing.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for replies and ideas. In my situation I experienced the best installed GUI with the mashed in PCIe card. I was impressed with Redmond and Mate. That is what I want. I should be up in five days. If it goes, I'll mark this as SOLVED.

The new PCIe card will have HDMI out and that was the difference in Ubuntu. Just baffling that Linux Mint accepts a monitor with VGA, no problem. And the install for Mint looks and smells just like the Ubuntu installer.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

I am also having problems with GPU (Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ (8GB)
    Running Ubuntu 20.04

My screen is connected to the GPU but other indicators tell me that the GPU is not functioning (blender cannot use the GPU because it does not see it, and I can tell it is not being used by the render performance).
    My computer freeze at least once a day, and I get screen flicker and blackouts about once an hour.

I am pretty new to Linux so messing around with Terminal is still a challenge for me.
    My go to solution for freezes is the reboot button! Thank god that Linux is fast to start up

This is a production computer so I usually do not have a lot of time to tinker.
    I set it us as a dual boot with windows. Windows is tempting me back but for the bloatware all over it and the excruciating long boot up and shutdown times.

Beans
    Distro

My bad. I had a flaky graphcis card and a legacy computer. FINALLY found a great GPU card that fits inside a tower box using a single PCI slot. The LiveCD installed ubuntu 20.04.1 flawlessly. I already like Mate more than I do WIN10. Incredible that this ubuntu release shows Drive A -- the 3.5 floppy drive! And I've got firewire-1399. All of that right out of the box with Ubuntu. WIN can't do that.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro

Unless the Radeon is integrated in the AMD CPU I have had problems with add-on Radeon GPUs in Linux. WIN has the drivers but the AMD drivers have to be added after install of Ubuntu. Once the drivers work they work forever throughout the upgrades and fail when you do a clean install. For Ubuntu I learned there is less pain with nVidia chip cards. I tried and returned four GPU cards and ended up with Zotac GeForce GT 730 which works great with 3D content apps. This card works video editing better with the multi-core AMD. My ocoto-core AMD runs your card without a problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123