Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20.04.1 is the HARDEST Ubuntu install ever

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 20.04.1 is the HARDEST Ubuntu install ever

You keep avoiding the issue.
    Why has 20.04 disappeared from all sites, except the extremely hard to find place that you posted?

Again, what's going on here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The iso is available. I found it with no trouble using Google.

You have had trouble with installation. The OP has had trouble. That is clear.

Your stated position is, however, secundum quid: a logically fallacious generalization of your experiences to be representative of the entire community.

Please stop posting that generalization and recommending against the installation of 20.04.1.
    Last edited by QIII; October 22nd, 2020 at 01:25 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Any way to change the resolution/refresh rate? The Software Center of 20.04.1 doesn't offer any options.
    The place to go is Settings>Screen Display. You may see options to change Resolution and Refresh Rate.

When we install Ubuntu and check to install non-free software we get some proprietary video and audio codecs. We also get a proprietary video driver. If one exists. If we have problems it may be better not to check install non-free software. Then we will get an open source video driver and for a Nvidia card it will be called Nouveau. Once we have a working desktop we can open Software & Updates>Additional drivers. With an internet connection the utility will search for a proprietary video driver. If one exists.

I have a Nvidia GT216 and Additional Drivers is offering to install Nvidia 340.108. We can also use a couple of terminal commands

Code:
    ubuntu-drivers list
    That will list available proprietary drivers.

Code:
    ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    That will install the most up to date proprietary driver.

Code:
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    will provide information about the video card.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

That link for 20.04 was a 2-hour download over fiber-optic cable.

I would say my problem is the ubuntu install script. 20.04 at least has a boot screen in proper resolution. During installation there are a LOT of artifacts on the screen -- the graphics rendering doesn't clean up dirty areas of the Desktop. The final reboot brings up an unusable windows framework where you can't find buttons or the window actions.

Ubuntu 20.04.1 never invokes the xconf server to do the graphics.

Ubuntu 20.04 beta is mis-using xconf because Ubuntu expects device information coming from my monitor over a VGA cable.

Buying new hardware to accommodate an OS upgrade reminds me of Macintosh. I want Ubuntu Mate but I just may have to settle on Linux Mint Cinnamon. Mint presents.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

Sure the RAM is OK? I don't think a slanted video card is good for any of the hardware you have

Beans
    Distro

I have RAM OK after memtest. I went back to my ASUS GeForce 7300 GT. I would have to mail-order any other replacement card.

I can LiveCD Linux Mint-Cinnamon and I have faith it will install. Knoppix does install. ubuntu 20.04 starts out with the install screens in good resolution. Final result looks like an incomplete compquiz (the rotating cube for windows desktop).

Try to install 20.04.1 and it never invokes a resolution change -- buttons are off the screen. One can install 20.04.1 by clicking the border of the barely shown button. Final result on with the 20.04-beta install is non-functional

So now I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 18.xx and try upgrade to 20.04.1???? Or, can I install Linux Mint-Cinnamon and bolt on the Redmond GUI theme from Ubuntu Mate later?
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It appears that there has been a dilemma with Ubuntu 20.04.1 and nVidia cards.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes

Systems with an nVidia graphics card: These systems boot the live session by default with the open source video driver 'nouveau'. On some hardware this driver may crash which results in a freeze of the graphical session of the installer. If it happens, on the boot menu, select a 'Safe graphics mode' entry. Then in the installer, on the 'Preparing to install ...' page, select 'Install third party software ...' and continue. This option will install the nVidia proprietary drivers on the target system. Upon installation the proprietary drivers for your card will be loaded and the graphical session should work properly with optimized drivers. (1871562)
    Here is a thread with more info and a possible solution.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451568

Beans
    Distro

Linux Mint-Cinnamon LiveCD installed without a hitch. The whole time I had readable windows and menus. After installation, Display settings brings up the options dialog and my Samsung 23" DVI-1-1, Resolution, 60Hz. And the install took less than 35 minutes. Two little glitches. Upon completion of install came dialog -- "Remove media and hit return". Mint wasn't recognizing my wireless keyboard at that point. Ubuntu does restart with the Enter button upon completion of install. In Mint the Start menu has jumbled text for menu items. When I pass the cursor over the menu items the button labels become readable.

The Ubuntu install of 20.04.x takes close to an hour and my display is never recognized to optimize the resolution. In fact, the only way I can invoke LiveCD to install is by F6 at the boot screen -- shows a person and a keyboard at the bottom of the screen. Select the option nomodset.

Mint is based on ubuntu and the install screens look almost the same.

I will try the latest suggestion of fix my display after I try the Ubuntu 20.04.1 install with the low resolution. 20.04-beta at least starts off in the correct resolution and during the install the display changes to low res.

It would be so nice if the install script for Mint was the script ubuntu used.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The iso is available. I found it with no trouble using Google.

You have had trouble with installation. The OP has had trouble. That is clear.
    Wrong. I have a wonderfully working installation based on the 20.04 .iso that installs without a hitch every time. I haven't even bothered with 20.04.1. Why should I?

Which is why I recommend using this, as people seem to have problems with the 20.04.1 "convenience update", where the installer apparently has been modified. OK?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    Wrong. I have a wonderfully working installation based on the 20.04 .iso that installs without a hitch every time. I haven't even bothered with 20.04.1. Why should I?

Which is why I recommend using this, as people seem to have problems with the 20.04.1 "convenience update", where the installer apparently has been modified. OK?

Cheers.
    You're missing the point here.
    The OP's problem is with an old Nvidia graphics card. It has nothing to do with the 20.04.1 installer vs. original 20.04 installer. That said the older nouveau version present in the original release work better (not freeze so often) than the new version present in the point release.

Either way it'll be hard if not impossible to make standard Ubuntu work acceptably in such outdated hardware. That graphics used to work fine but only with a proprietary driver version that can't be installed with the current kernels. Lighter DEs may work even with the nouveau driver but I would keep my hopes high.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast