Thread: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

Scroll all the way up & choose ext4.
    That is the normal default for Ubuntu.
    Then choose use as / (root) for your / and choose other partition set ext4 and use as /home.
    Again only check the format box if new install. If reusing a /home with data, never check format box.

If UEFI install, it will auto find the existing ESP from Windows on gpt drive, if first drive.
    Old instructions had adding swap partition, but now a swap file is used by default, so no swap partition required.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Question Re: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Scroll all the way up & choose ext4.
    That is the normal default for Ubuntu.
    Then choose use as / (root) for your / and choose other partition set ext4 and use as /home.
    Again only check the format box if new install. If reusing a /home with data, never check format box.

If UEFI install, it will auto find the existing ESP from Windows on gpt drive, if first drive.
    Old instructions had adding swap partition, but now a swap file is used by default, so no swap partition required.
    Thank you for answering.
    I do however not understand the answer.
    There is only one ext4 partition on the HD. I took a 500 GB SSD with Win10 preinstalled and shrunk the partition with Win10 to 90 GB There are some small partitions that Win10 installation must have created. I had for a short period the rest on the HD partitioned as ext4 but I can see it will be nice to have a Data partition that both Ubuntu and Win10 can work on so I reduced the ext4 partition to 50 GB and made a data partition formated to ntfs.
    So I CAN choose ext4 for the Ubuntu installation but it is not at the top of the list as the screenshot should show - I think it is sda5 or sda6. When I double-click on ext4 i get a list of what it should be used for. I do however not see neither home nor root on that list - so what should I select?
    When I want to use the last - ntfs formatted - partition as a data disk I think that is where home should be - but again I don't see home in the list of choices?

The partitons are freshly formated so I don't need that even if there is also no home folder on the partitions yet.
    I have set the bios to UEFI only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have a look at the screenshots under Step 6 on this web page

https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1...ows-8-81-uefi/

Any help?

Beans

Smile Re: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Have a look at the screenshots under Step 6 on this web page

https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1...ows-8-81-uefi/

Any help?
    Yes - thank you very much - apart from the description of the creation of the swapfile which I think oldfred wrote I did not need. But I will try following that page.

For some reason I had the impression I could place the /home folder on a data partition that is ntfs formatted so it could be used by both my Ubuntu and my Win10 partition.
    I deleted the ext4 and the ntfs partitions previously created and followed the guide. It works well but there is no option to use ntfs for the home partition. So I guess I cannot have the home partition on a "shared" partition?
    Last edited by Odense; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:43 PM. Reason: Tried following the page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu will automatically create a swapfile during the installation process.

One less thing to think about

Beans

Question Re: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

Ubuntu will automatically create a swapfile during the installation process.

One less thing to think about
    You might think so - but not really - can I just skip that step and move to the creation of the /home folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I guess I cannot have the home partition on a "shared" partition?
    Indeed, you can't.

can I just skip that step and move to the creation of the /home folder?
    Indeed you can. A swapfile is created automatically. There's no need to make a swap partition currently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You've edited post 14 so I do not know how far you have progressed? The chronology of the thread becomes difficult to follow.

Which step do you want to skip?

Ooh, I think CelticWarrior has cracked it.
    Last edited by tea for one; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM. Reason: CelticWarrior's keyboard skills are immense

Beans

Smile Re: How do I get Ubuntu installed on its own partition

You've edited post 14 so I do not know how far you have progressed? The chronology of the thread becomes difficult to follow.

Which step do you want to skip?
    The step with the swap file

Beans

And it seems to work now - thank you gentlemen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12