Thread: no wired after file system error

Beans

no wired after file system error

running a minecraft server, we seem to have some SSD stability issues, i assume related to the SSD

but we had a file system error and after running Fsck on it to correct it
    we had no wired ethernet listed in the GUI
    someone gave me some commands to try in terminal but they didnt work

the ethernet is whats built into the
    B550-f strix wifi
    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...-GAMING-WI-FI/

the commands and such he had me run

ip link show

cat /etc/os-release

sudo ifconfig enp7s0 up

ifconfig

sudo netplan apply
    [COLOR=var(--text-normal)]nmcli
    [/COLOR]
    nmcli networking on

the above were his troubleshooting ideas, and whats been done thus far.

anyone got any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: no wired after file system error

First, please don't post images. Use the copy/paste and post text here. People who use screen readers or pay by the byte for internet will thank you.

B550-f strix uses a new Intel Ethernet NIC, the v225. This isn't well supported and a number of people here have failed to get it working. In theory, the drivers directly from Intel should work, but 3 people here tried those and failed. I know 2 ended up buying older Intel NICs based on the e1000e or igb drivers to get something working quick for about $25 in solution.

Wish I had better news. Last month I almost bought that same B550 motherboard, but after doing some research on the v225 support, decided to wait and if necessary, get an Asus B450 STRIX using the i211 NIC instead.

I'm confused. You say "server", but also say "GUI". Servers don't have GUIs. They use text files to configure network settings. Look in /etc/netplan/ for the configuration. Post those files.

Also, seeing the hardware and driver in use for the NIC would confirm some other stuff. There are many different methods to get that information. lshw, lspci, inxi ... I'd use:
    Code:
    lspci -vk |perl -lne 'print if /Ethernet|Network/ .. /^[\w]*$/'
    Whenever posting files here and commands+output, please wrap all the text in 'code tag', as I've shown above.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 22nd, 2020 at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what were your umount and fsck command lines?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

yeah so the reason they were images is they were taken from a discord chat log already had them as images. apologise for having them consume more data

as for the nic, we already ordered one, i figured if i can get it working its atleast redundancy

we are using it for a server but installed the desktop because we couldnt get the networking to work via terminal

my linux experiance is also fairly limited so having a GUI is easyer depending on what i have to do, saves me having a 2nd PC to google everything i need to do anything

i dont remember doing umount commands but the fsck commands was basicly
    fsck /dev/nvme0np1
    or something whatever it said in the recovery mode after the reboot, pretty sure its just the drive name

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think that adding a gui to a server install brings in all the low, deep, stuff, like network controls. Use the text config files like it is a server. The ubuntu server guide should have instructions. There are a number of netplan posts in these forums too.

But the v225 driver could still be an issue. Hopefully not.

I really hope you didn’t run fsck on a drive. t should be run on a file system, which is usually a partition.

Beans

i ran fsck on whatever was listed when i ran it in recovery mode, it did fix the issue so i didnt worry much

and yeah no the GUI is trash compared to windows, because linux expects you to use terminal to do basicly everything, but for basics its easyer for linux noobs like me.

Beans

SO update, i messed around with a few things and did manage to bring it back, i THINK it was because i set the renderer to Network manager

/etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml

renderer: NetworkManager

it came up, during me installing a 2nd nic, but it also broke the internal ports for our Docker and stuff i dont understand so we reversed it without checking the original port, but it did show in the GUI
    this is more in case someone stumbles upon it

i also ran a bunch of things we may of edited at the time

sudo netplan apply
    systemctl reload NetworkManager
    sudo service network-manager restart

im uh, REALLY bad at linux, but im not running a server off wifi now so thats a plus