Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System won't boot with RAM clock above 2400MHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System won't boot with RAM clock above 2400MHz

According to the motherboard's specifications, some memory modules can indeed work at higher speeds but that won't happen OOB, it needs over-clocking.

2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics Processors
    2 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
    Without OC any RAM there with your CPU+GPU - 3rd Gen Ryzen with Radeon GPU - will work at 2666MHz. Any higher and if supported by the RAM (it is) in your particular hardware configuration is only achievable by enabling OC in the motherboard, i.e., "auto" settings, the default, can't be ised. How to do that should be explained in the user's manual.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    Why did you turn it down to 2933? The idea was to test it at 3600.
    My processor only supports RAM speeds up to 2933MHz, so I thought I would just get lots of errors if I ran it at the full 3600MHz?
    Last edited by jcdenton1995; October 22nd, 2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    My processor only supports RAM speeds up to 2933MHz
    Sorry, I misread your post. I thought Ubuntu would start correctly at 2933. Officially, the max speed is 2933, but these CPU's are known to go higher without issue, which is why kits that can be "overclocked" by simply flipping on XMP are widely available. My 2400G (same official 2933 limit) works fine with the 3200 kit I got.
    The fact that Memtest ran okay at 2933 suggests it may be related to the OS. I think trying out Windows (even if you just boot into the installer and don't install it because you don't have a license) is a good idea.
    Trying out Xubuntu 20.10 on a LiveUSB is also a good idea: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...64.iso.torrent

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought Ubuntu would start correctly at 2933. Officially, the max speed is 2933, but these CPU's are known to go higher without issue, which is why kits that can be "overclocked" by simply flipping on XMP are widely available. My 2400G (same official 2933 limit) works fine with the 3200 kit I got.
    Maybe I'll push it further once I get it going, I'm still in that stage of the computer being quite new so I'm being all soft on it, but it's only a matter of time before that wears off!

The fact that Memtest ran okay at 2933 suggests it may be related to the OS. I think trying out Windows (even if you just boot into the installer and don't install it because you don't have a license) is a good idea.
    Trying out Xubuntu 20.10 on a LiveUSB is also a good idea: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...64.iso.torrent
    This was my plan for Windows as I thought another Distribution would essentially be the same deal due to also using the Linux kernel, although I appreciate there are many versions / custom kernels. I'll try Xubuntu now to see how that fairs and report back!

Edit: Xubuntu also won't boot, guess it's time to parley with the dreaded windows... briefly.
    Last edited by jcdenton1995; October 22nd, 2020 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    I'll try Xubuntu now to see how that fairs and report back!
    For a test that would show you whether it's an issue that's been fixed by newer kernels, trying to boot a 20.10 image would be more indicative than a different flavour of 20.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    trying to boot a 20.10 image would be more indicative than a different flavour of 20.04.
    That's why the link I provided was for 20.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: System won't boot with RAM clock above 2400MHz

That's why the link I provided was for 20.10.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    For a test that would show you whether it's an issue that's been fixed by newer kernels, trying to boot a 20.10 image would be more indicative than a different flavour of 20.04.
    So after reading your comments I realised that I actually booted Xubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, so I followed Yellow Pasque's link and got the latest release. Unfortunately my PC won't boot that at all, the boot screen (I'm sure there is a technical term) basically told me that the compressed initramfs had some junk in there and also an init process couldn't be found. I did check the sha256sum and it matched but I cant rule out user error here (me).

Anywho tried booting the Windows 10 x64 installer and it boot's fine with the ram set at 2133MHz but wouldn't play ball at 2933MHz with DOCP. So I think I'm going to take your advice CatKiller and contact G Skill, possibly exchanging it for another set or just getting a refund. A bit of a bummer because it means I'll need to pick up some cheap modules just to slap in the PC to keep it going.

I guess before I do all that I'll check it's seated properly, but I'm 99% certain it is

Edit: So I checked the QVL for both the motherboard and the memory modules while I was writing out an E-mail to G Skill, I don't know how I got it wrong earlier in the thread, but neither component is on the QVL for the other. There are many almost identical modules on the QVL for the board, but only one entry in the entire list is a 2x 16GB pair like mine, which seems significant. Likewise the QVL for the modules lists the E-ATX and ATX iterations of the same board, but not the ITX version. I suppose this means I can't complain, which I'm not as at least now I can be confident I have a (slightly) incompatible product as opposed to a faulty one!

I have messaged G Skill technical support anyway so if I manage to sort it I will update for any future lurkers.
    Last edited by jcdenton1995; October 25th, 2020 at 06:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12