Thread: What's up with 20.04.1 ?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

What's up with 20.04.1 ?

The 20.04.1 is supposed to be a "convenience update" from 20.04 meaning that it includes later bug and security updates that the user would normally install using apt update and apt upgrade.

But I've seldom seen so many posts from people having problems using an .iso as in this case (internationally, not just here).

What's gone wrong here? Somehow it's not a "convenience update" anymore, other parts have also been changed. And not for the better.

In my experience, the original 20.04 .iso works perfectly. I suggest people use that until there's clarity about the 20.04.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: What's up with 20.04.1 ?

"Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    In my experience, the original 20.04 .iso works perfectly. I suggest people use that until there's clarity about the 20.04.1
    Are you referring to a particular flavour of the Ubuntu family?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Are you referring to a particular flavour of the Ubuntu family?
    No, and I'm not affected by this, having a wonderfully working 20.04 system myself.
    But I'm surprised at the number of posts/questions/problems popping up since 20.04.1 is out. And all concerning new installations using the 20.04.1 .iso
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; October 21st, 2020 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

How many people are using 20.04.1 without having made a post asking for help? Unless we know that, we can't tell if it is a common issue.

Since people who have no problems rarely ask for advice solving their non-problems, there is a bias in interpretation to the negative.

In medicine, a referral bias might lead a doctor to believe that everyone suffers from toenail fungus. But the doctor doesn't see anyone coming in to ask them about normal toenails.
    Last edited by QIII; October 21st, 2020 at 12:49 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I haven't seen more problems with 20.04.1 over any other media.

I'm not watching this forum as much as I do elsewhere, nor as much as others, but what I see includes IRC & askubuntu, and to me it was a pretty normal ISO, with a normal amount of support requests after it. At least that's my subjective opinion.

In the development cycle; we've had way way more issues with groovy, but 20.04.1 is really just a re-spin as already stated. My testing perspective of 20.04.1 was cleaner as all (changes/)issues were resolved with 20.04.

Maybe there are more people stuck at home with more time to use it... or possibly complain & seek help about it, but I'll still stick with 20.04.1 being about average.

Probably more importantly, more people do usually install at the .1 release, hoping for a smoother experience, so it's probably just more people using it (than the 20.04 ISO).

Beans

Well I had a few problems with Ubuntu 20.04, not as much as Mint 20.04 though.

Both OS's were clean installs but given the problems I had, I just kept using Ubuntu 18.04.5 and Mint 19.03 until the .1 versions appeared.

Since the updates to a .1 version, both OS's are fine and usable ( for me ).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not a support request

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans

Only thing I didn't like about 20.04 and/or 20.04.1 is that there's only a legacy mini .iso.
    That sucked for me.

Other than that, had no issues with both .iso's.