Thread: Hardware for Virtualization on Ubuntu

Beans

Hardware for Virtualization on Ubuntu

I have been looking into virtualization on Ubuntu. I want to try it out on one of my Windows computers but I'm not sure whether my somewhat dated hardware will work. I have a Asrock N68C-GS4 FX motherboard with an AMD FX8320E Processor. As far as I can tell AMD says the processor is capable of virtualization but the AMD Windows HYPER-V utility says virtualization ( AMD-V ) is not enabled in the BIOS. The only setting I can find is "Secure Virtual Machine" and it is [ENABLED]

Beans

Re: Hardware for Virtualization on Ubuntu

Rather than asking here, why not just give it a try? Either it will install and work properly, or it will not. You won't damage anything by trying.

I've run VirtualBox on a wide variety of hardware over the past few years. I'd be more concerned about memory size than any of the things you listed. 4 GB is probably the absolute minimum for the Windows host, so you can give the Ubuntu VM 1.5 GB and leave 2.5 GB for the Windows host. Anything less than 4 GB will likely give you pretty abysmal performance with lots of disk swapping. I upped my memory to 16 GB a couple months back so I can give both my Kubuntu host and my Windows VM 8 GB each.

You can install VB from the repositories, but I recommend using Oracle's own repository by following the instructions here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linu...xdistributions. VirtualBox will then always be current and updated by apt like any other package. Just a word of warning to avoid confusion. If you specify
    Code:
    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian focal contrib
    in sources.list, you may notice that you get a binary named virtualbox-6.1_6.1.16-140961~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb. Oracle doesn't release a new version for every new release of Ubuntu. The eoan (19.10) version works just fine on my 20.04 focal machine.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; October 20th, 2020 at 10:16 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

The reason I asked here is I I'd like to avoid any unnecessary detours. If necessary I have other hardware I can use.

Beans

Waiting for answers here is going to take longer than just trying to install it on your machine.

I'm an empiricist by nature especially when it comes to computing.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Waiting for answers here is going to take longer than just trying to install it on your machine.

I'm an empiricist by nature especially when it comes to computing.
    I believe in doing some investigation before diving into the deep end of the pool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't use Hyper V. Use VirtualBox. HyperV is likely complaining about lack of VT-D, something needed for passthrough and not a common requirement for most home users.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; October 22nd, 2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: u

Beans

I wouldn't suggest even using Hyper V, I would use either Virtual-Box or even VM-Ware as I believe they have their own Guest add-ons? correct me if I am wrong. -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would use Virtualbox too, it is reliable and used very frequently by desktop users. In the BIOS try looking for AMD-V. Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JULTTn3TPnw
    Otherwise try to find the manual for your motherboard on Google.

Beans

I have the manual and as far as I can tell there is no setting for AMD-V only "Secure Virtual Machine" and it is [ENABLED]
    I tried installing Virtual Box on one of my 64 bit Ubuntu 20.04 desktops and all I get are 32-bit options.

Beans

I now have virtual box up and running with Windows 7 in a VM.

Thanks for your input.