Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postfix setup sending emails but cannot send emails with client

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Postfix setup sending emails but cannot send emails with client

I don't know. I don't use authenticated SMTP. You'll have to consult the Postfix documentation for that. As you can see from the piece you read, it's pretty extensive.

You also might want to look into using a database for this. I can imagine that user names in the database aren't limited to the same domain.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Well how can I set it up to not require authentication?
    Also this is my latest crazy idea but what do you think about setting up something like Froxlor or some kind of management software. I am learning all the commands and even got the HTTP/HTTPS set up fine but this one has been crazy! Just thinking software that will do it for me sounds like a good idea!! ��

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Look up "open relay".

I suspect that is not your goal. Open relays on the internet get into block lists very,very quickly and can be hard to get removed. OTOH, allowing email from specific subnets that you control.

There are multiple opinions about using front-ends to any configuration. I don't mind, provided there is someone involved who can manually manage the config files. The problems arise when someone running things doesn't have sufficient expertise to fix things when the config tools fail. They always fail. Always. Basically, they have to start over, learn the things they didn't learn the first time, but under production failures, usually with lots of unhappy people waiting.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hungrygeneration View Post
    Well how can I set it up to not require authentication?
    If you want to accept mail from anywhere, you need to use authentication. http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

If you can restrict the set of hosts permitted to send mail through the server, you can impose limits by IP address or network. Read that ACCESS readme again.

I'm pretty sure the perpetrators of the recent "Proud Boys" email spoof used open relays (allegedly in Estonia) to try and hide their tracks.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:37 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12