Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I preserve or recreate my (I think is grub) dual boot

Beans

Question How do I preserve or recreate my (I think is grub) dual boot

I wanted to upgrade my Ubuntu to the latest LTS (Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS > Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS) but first got a warning that I would have to remove some ppa's

After I removed the kazam ppa the update was able to start - but stopped again after a while. I rebooted and tried again and it stopped again.
    After another reboot get to the gnome classic desktop I prefer but it does not react to the keyboard, the mousepad or the USB mouse I normally use so I cannot even log on.
    If I can get most of my own data out first I am OK with formatting the partition and starting again but I am running the Ubuntu as a dual boot machine where I get a menu where I can pick if I want to boot as a Ubuntu computer (default choice) or as a Windows 10 laptop.

The (I think grub) menu is on the Ubuntu partition (I select it in the bios that it should boot from the Ubuntu disk to get the menu) and will be erased if I format this partition.

How do I preserve or recreate my dual boot setup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I preserve or recreate my (I think is grub) dual boot

Is your computer so old that you had to do a BIOS installation? With the newer UEFI system in UEFI mode there's no such problems.

If it really is BIOS/Legacy with Windows and Ubuntu in different drives (and Ubuntu was installed as recommended in such cases -> Grub installed in the MBR of the same drive where Ubuntu is) just changing the drive boot order will allow booting Windows directly, so no problem there.
    Either way, reinstalling Ubuntu will reinstall Grub correctly and recognize Windows as before.

Beans

Question Re: How do I preserve or recreate my (I think is grub) dual boot

[QUOTE=CelticWarrior;13993319]Is your computer so old that you had to do a BIOS installation? With the newer UEFI system in UEFI mode there's no such problems.

If it really is BIOS/Legacy with Windows and Ubuntu in different drives (and Ubuntu was installed as recommended in such cases -> Grub installed in the MBR of the same drive where Ubuntu is)

I am (almost) sure it is a computer with UEFI BUT the (too small disk) is divided into two partitions and Ubuntu is installed on its own partition.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior;13993319
    [COLOR=#000000
    If it really is BIOS/Legacy with Windows and Ubuntu in different drives (and Ubuntu was installed as recommended in such cases -> Grub installed in the MBR of the same drive where Ubuntu is) just changing the drive boot order will allow booting Windows directly, so no problem there.[/COLOR]
    Yes changing the drive boot order does allow booting Windows directly and that is what I am using to post this. But I prefer to use Ubuntu for most thing so would like that to work too.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior;13993319
    [COLOR=#000000
    Either way, reinstalling Ubuntu will reinstall Grub correctly and recognize Windows as before.[/COLOR]
    So JUST installing Ubuntu on a freshly formatted partition will make a grub menu where I get to choose ifI want to boot to windows or Ubuntu WITHOUT needing to change boot order in the Bios or UEFI (which is a PITA to do)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Obviously you need to change the order back to the drive where Grub is installed and that should be done BEFORE reinstalling Ubuntu otherwise it'll will replace the Windows bootloader in the other drive.
    And that is basic knowledge for any user installing OSes. How can accessing BIOS to change ONE setting by such a PITA? Really? Or is this another joke like in your other thread?

Beans

this is getting harsh , i'm staying out of it lol
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    this is getting harsh , i'm staying out of it lol
    Not really.
    With some luck it actually saves some people from themselves and future readers benefit from the implicit warnings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Obviously you need to change the order back to the drive where Grub is installed and that should be done BEFORE reinstalling Ubuntu otherwise it'll will replace the Windows bootloader in the other drive.
    And that is basic knowledge for any user installing OSes. How can accessing BIOS to change ONE setting by such a PITA? Really? Or is this another joke like in your other thread?
    You are right that "you need to change the order back to the drive where Grub is installed and that should be done BEFORE reinstalling Ubuntu otherwise it'll will replace the Windows bootloader in the other drive".

You are however very wrong that "And that is basic knowledge for any user installing OSes" Most people would not know this and yet have no trouble installing Windows on their PC. The same people have never been checking their BIOS settings.

I did ask for help on a specific matter and that was the best way to preserve / recreate my dual boot (without needing to enter the bios each time boot). If you don't want to answer that because you think I should enter the bios each time) that is up to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most people would not know this and yet have no trouble installing Windows on their PC.
    Most people installing Ubuntu ONLY will have no trouble either.
    The "trouble" comes when people want to dual-boot for which another set of knowledge/skills is really required, there's no way around it.

Beans

The "trouble" comes when people want to dual-boot for which another set of knowledge/skills is really required, there's no way around it.
    +1

to be honest(and i'm almost ashamed)i don't even know if my system is BIOS or UEFI , just popped in the ubuntu iso and installed ,deleting windows, followed the prompts and never looked back
    Last edited by 3nd; October 17th, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI systems present two ways to boot live installer. One usually is clearly UEFI:XXXX and other just XXXX which then is BIOS boot. Mine is UEFI:PMAP and PMAP, the XXXX often is name or label of flash drive.
    How you boot live installer for Ubuntu or Windows installer UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.

You used to be able to tell how you have booted Ubuntu installer as it used Syslinux for BIOS and grub for UEFI.
    Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

But now with 20.10 grub is used for both UEFI & BIOS boot. You just have to check:
    if test -d /sys/firmware/efi; then echo efi; else echo bios; fi
    or:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"

Also some tools to create live installer, may make one that is BIOS only or UEFI only. So you have to select correct way to make UEFI installer.
    Typically UEFI/gpt is UEFI.
    CSM is BIOS.
    CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.

I also like to suggest gpt partitioning with Ubuntu. You do have to have MBR(msdos) if you have or want Windows installed in BIOS boot mode on same drive.
    But I have used Ubuntu on a gpt partitioned drive since 2010 without issue (back then XP was on MBR drive).
    Microsoft has required vendors to install Windows in UEFI boot mode to gpt partitioned drives since Windows 8 in 2012.

GPT Advantages (older 2010 but still valid) see post#2 by srs5694:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901 &
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...antages_of_GPT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/62947...br-why-not-mbr
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast