Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing desktop GUI on Asus FX505 Tuf Gaming laptop

Beans

Unhappy Freezing desktop GUI on Asus FX505 Tuf Gaming laptop

I bought an Asus FX505 Tuf Gaming laptop, with Intel Core i5 CPU and Nvidia GPU.

It came with Windows 10. I booted from USB to live Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and installed it after repartitioning.

I can boot into Ubuntu Studio, but after a few minutes, everything except the mouse freezes. I can move the mouse around, but not click on anything, not drag anything. Key presses do nothing. I can press CTRL ALT F1 for a terminal and do things there. I updated the kernel to 5.8.0-23-lowlatency, but no change.

I would really like to get Ubuntu Studio working on this laptop, as Windows 10 sucks. I can revert it all back to just Windows 10 if necessary, but would rather use Linux.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Some websites suggest the graphics driver. I have the Nvidia proprietary driver installed and selected, originally the Xorg-nouveau driver was in use, but I removed this as some say it is buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Freezing desktop GUI on Asus FX505 Tuf Gaming laptop

Which Nvidia graphics do you have and which driver version have you installed and how?

Beans

The graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics
    Driver installed via Software & Updates
    Version: nvidia-driver-450
    Last edited by david-daking; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:48 PM. Reason: update

Beans

BTW, the laptop also has Intel graphics, how could I switch to using that instead of Nvidia to see if that works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use the Nvidia X Server Settings. Select profile.
    GeForce GTX 1650 is supported by the 430.xx driver, not newer.

Beans

How do I change the Nvidia driver from the CLI, given that the GUI freezes before I can change it?

Beans

Also, I don't see 430 driver listed, but there is 435 or 418.

Beans

Update: the 418 driver is a server driver, so i went with 435. It worked okay for a while, I even installed and opened the Gnome System Monitor, and it is running now, and showing real time updates on CPU usage etc., but the whole thing is still frozen as in cannot click on anything, and cannot do things like Alt-Tab. CTRL ALT F1 works for a terminal screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Graphics Drivers PPA provides among others the 430 driver you currently need, according to Nvidia.

Add the PPA and then you'll be able to select and apply the proper version in Additional Drivers. Using this GUI tool should remove all the other versions installed before installing your selection but if not use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
    to start from a clean slate.

Beans

I did as you suggested, and added that Graphics Drivers PPA, but I am back to where I was. There is no Nvidia 430 driver listed, and it freezes still after a while. Using the later kernels makes it even worse. I am ready to give up on this as it's not working with no obvious solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast