Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I learn most used Ubuntu Commands?

Beans

Re: Where can I learn most used Ubuntu Commands?

points taken , i feel like i understand more now where you coming from
    keep up the good work ,just don't overwhelm me lol

PEACE
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

I looked at the link you provided above. Some of those commands are the same as I posted above
    on a side note , i never used any of those commands ,guess i'm more of a click click guy (GUI) than a type stuff out on terminal guy .
    like if for instance if want to copy this file to that folder i'll rather just do in the file manager than to try and remember the paths ect to do it in terminal
    basically all i do in terminal is clean up system with the commands i gathered along the way (although i have stacer that does the same thing i suppose) ,and connect to my vpn .
    otherwise i'm getting along fine without terminal

i know the linux system true potential lies through the terminal , but noobs/everyday users like myself doesn't realy need to know all the commands
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm not sure this will actually help you much as it's a very long list of just about every command available in bash but here it is anyway; make use of it if you find it helps.
    https://ss64.com/bash/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Most things can be done in Ubuntu using a utility with a Graphical User Interface (GUI). If a new user wishes to experiment with Ubuntu then I would recommend having a dual boot of Ubuntu with Ubuntu and messing around with commands on the second installation. Then if things get broken the second installation can be fixed by reinstalling. Or, experience can be gained by trying to fix what is broken.

An experimenter should at least become familiar with the Recovery mode option under Advanced Options for Ubuntu that is accessed from the Grub boot menu. That may be the only way to get a command line on a broken system.

I also suggest learning diagnostic commands and seeing the results they produce. It would be aid to determining what is wrong.

regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

There are various "Cheat Sheets" out there. Ask your favourite search engine for "Linux commands cheat sheet" or "Ubuntu commands cheat sheet". The problem with these is that they are meant mostly as a reference and not as a learning tool. Unless you understand some basic concepts (users and permissions, hierarchical file system and current working directory, standard IO redirection and piping, substitutions, return values of commands, flow control - meaning loops and decisions) these don't make much sense, especially since a lot of the power of the command line comes from the relative ease of combining multiple commands that each do one small thing to do something more complex. You're probably better of getting a book like "The Linux Command Line" and working through the first few chapters then looking at a list of commands and working through their man pages.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

the most important command to learn (first) is also one of the easiest to use: man
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    the most important command to learn (first) is also one of the easiest to use: man
    As Skaperen has said almost every program in Ubuntu has a text manual that can be accessed via the terminal and will answer may of your questions. I guess the question is what is it you would like to learn. Narrow it down a bit for us as you can see from the replies this is a vast area of learning. There are actually on line and in person courses on the subject. A simple search of the internet will yield a vast amount of information for you to consider.

What specifically are you looking to learn, that is the question we need answered first, so we can correctly direct you.
    Good luck in your learning and most of all have fun doing so.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    Hello And Welcome to Ubuntu Linux.
    You can learn a lot from this tutorial.
    and this list will help.
    Thank you.

Thanks all for sharing resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    There are various "Cheat Sheets" out there. Ask your favourite search engine for "Linux commands cheat sheet" or "Ubuntu commands cheat sheet". The problem with these is that they are meant mostly as a reference and not as a learning tool. Unless you understand some basic concepts (users and permissions, hierarchical file system and current working directory, standard IO redirection and piping, substitutions, return values of commands, flow control - meaning loops and decisions) these don't make much sense, especially since a lot of the power of the command line comes from the relative ease of combining multiple commands that each do one small thing to do something more complex. You're probably better of getting a book like "The Linux Command Line" and working through the first few chapters then looking at a list of commands and working through their man pages.

Holger
    Exactly.

The "why" is usually more important than the actual commands, but learning what is possible, when to use the commands, with techniques that aren't intuitively obvious is much harder. A book like http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php/index.php or a mentor or a local Linux Group (google for "LUG") can really help bridge the "why" with the "what to type, when" knowledge.

Plus the specific types of skills for the work to be done varies greatly. Many of the posts here are from end-users. Based on some other posts in these forums, I've gotten the impression the OP plans to be a web-app developer, so learning a shell and a little bash scripting will be extremely useful. Scripting comes after learning the basics. https://github.com/jlevy/the-art-of-command-line is pretty useful knowledge for being efficient on a command line. That link has some efficiency enhancing commands and links to other resources near the bottom, but the dense stuff at the top is were the daily use skills come in. I use redirection a few times every day, for example.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast