Thread: Cannot connect to specific Wi-Fi (home network)

Beans

Cannot connect to specific Wi-Fi (home network)

Hello fellow Ubuntu users.

I just managed to install Ubuntu and I have a curious issue. I cannot seem to connect to my home router's Wi-Fi. I tried connecting to my phone's hotspot and that works fine.

I updated and upgraded the system. Restarted and all that. Also I tried troubleshooting by changing the wireless settings on my router to WPA2-PSK and AES (apparently this fixed the problem for another user).

Many thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot connect to specific Wi-Fi (home network)

I cannot seem to connect to my home router's Wi-Fi.
    Please always describe exactly what's happening.
    Can you "see" the network or not?
    If you can and select it what happens next?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Please always describe exactly what's happening.
    Can you "see" the network or not?
    If you can and select it what happens next?
    My apologies for not being detailed enough.

Yes, I see the network. I insert the passcode for it and then nothing happens. Actually it asks for the passcode again and it's not able to connect.
    The passcode I put in is 100% correct.

Beans

Hmmm... been there, seen this...

The times that I have seen this is when, well, let me give you an example:

My router is set to AC only and I try to connect with a wifi adapter or card that is only capable of N. The same thing would happen on 2.4 GHz if the router is set to N only and your wifi adapter or card is only capable of G. Maybe this gives you something to try.

It might be helpful if you go to the Sticky called "Before posting in Networking and Wireless" and follow the instructions. That would help shed some light on your system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morrownr View Post
    Hmmm... been there, seen this...

The times that I have seen this is when, well, let me give you an example:

My router is set to AC only and I try to connect with a wifi adapter or card that is only capable of N. The same thing would happen on 2.4 GHz if the router is set to N only and your wifi adapter or card is only capable of G. Maybe this gives you something to try.

It might be helpful if you go to the Sticky called "Before posting in Networking and Wireless" and follow the instructions. That would help shed some light on your system.
    Still haven't sorted the issue out... I followed the steps from the sticky post.
    Another interesting thing I noticed is that I can connect to the 5Ghz network but not to the 2.4Ghz. I need to connect to the latter for a better range.

Do you have any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What is unique about your home network?

Code:
    nmcli device wifi list
    Just show us your networks and redact the MAC addresses like this xx:

Code:
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID                   MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURIT>
            xx:37:E9:44:23:xx  DIRECT-X7-FireTV_69ab  Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  89      ▂▄▆█  WPA2   >
    *       xx:2B:B0:DC:45:xx  GBR1                   Infra  1     405 Mbit/s  70      ▂▄▆_  WPA2   >
            xx:2B:B0:DC:45:xx  GBR5                   Infra  149   405 Mbit/s  69      ▂▄▆_  WPA2
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    What is unique about your home network?

Code:
    nmcli device wifi list
    Just show us your networks and redact the MAC addresses like this xx:

Code:
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID                   MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURIT>
            xx:37:E9:44:23:xx  DIRECT-X7-FireTV_69ab  Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  89      ▂▄▆█  WPA2   >
    *       xx:2B:B0:DC:45:xx  GBR1                   Infra  1     405 Mbit/s  70      ▂▄▆_  WPA2   >
            xx:2B:B0:DC:45:xx  GBR5                   Infra  149   405 Mbit/s  69      ▂▄▆_  WPA2
    There you go.

Code:
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID              MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY  
            xx:DA:C4:9B:BC:xx  2tigarilabucata   Infra  4     195 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  WPA1 WPA2 
            xx:DA:C4:9B:BC:xx  --                Infra  4     195 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  WPA2      
    *       xx:DA:C4:9B:BC:xx  3tigarilabucata   Infra  36    270 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  WPA1 WPA2
    The network I'm trying to connect and am unable to do so is 2tigarilabucata.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Set it to WPA2-AES instead of the mixed mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Set it to WPA2-AES instead of the mixed mode.

Did that. Still no change...

Beans

Some things to try:

Router:

- Set the channel to 1 or 6 or 11, don't use Auto. Choose the least congested channel.
    - Set the bandwidth to 20.

Computer:

- Use "Forget Connections" on all existing interfaces so as to get a fresh start.

Reboot everything. See what happens.