Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I can Run Ubuntu and Wondows Simultaneously?

Beans

How I can Run Ubuntu and Wondows Simultaneously?

Hi there.

I'm new here. Hope to learn linux this time. Please guide me to my question:

How I can Run Ubuntu and Wondows Simultaneously?

I'm using currently windows 10
    Last edited by deadflowr; October 20th, 2020 at 06:23 AM. Reason: merged posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How I can Run Ubuntu and Wondows Simultaneously?

install a subsystem in windows.
    install virtualbox and with enough ram you can run many OS "simultaneously".

but all in all on PC (bare metal) only one OS can run at one time.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post

what is the ram requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post

how to install the subsystem? any tutorial?

hello @mastablasta
    Last edited by deadflowr; October 20th, 2020 at 06:22 AM. Reason: merged posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

To run two operating systems simultaneously, you need two machines. Ideally two real machines, but you can get away with one real and one virtual machine. Install the OS you'll use most of the time on the real machine, install the other on the virtual machine. Performance of the virtual machine will be a bit less than a real machine, depending on what applications you run. Graphics in particular will be worse. Memory requirement is close to the sum of memory requirements of the individual systems.

There's also the possibility of dual booting. That allows you to have both OSs installed at the same time on a single real machine, but you can only run one at a time, choosing at boot. To switch operating system, reboot. Unfortunately, dual booting is not as easy and reliable as it used to be, due to changes in Windows.

When using virtual machines, the client can't damage the host (and the host is unlikely to damage the client). When dual booting, both systems can damage the other. Windows has a history of damaging Linux automatically when installing upgrades and Linux makes it really easy for the user to damage Windows.

Windows Subsystem for Linux is a partial Linux environment that can be installed on Windows. I don't know the details; Wikipedia tells me it's somewhere between a compatibility layer and a virtual machine. It's not a proper Linux system, but may be useful if you want to run a few Linux applications on Windows, similar to how Linux users can use Wine to run some Windows applications on Linux.

Beans

You mean you want to run Linux and Windows apps at the same time, not just switch between Linux and Windows when you reboot?

Then you can use a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. VirtualBox is open source and completely gratis. VMWare Workstation Player is gratis for personal use, and has better graphics performance.

You need as much RAM as you normally need to run Windows, plus as much RAM you normally need to run Linux, plus as much RAM as your apps normally require.

You can also use Virtual PC from Microsoft, but I've never tried it myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metacell View Post
    You mean you want to run Linux and Windows apps at the same time, not just switch between Linux and Windows when you reboot?

Then you can use a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. VirtualBox is open source and completely gratis. VMWare Workstation Player is gratis for personal use, and has better graphics performance.

You need as much RAM as you normally need to run Windows, plus as much RAM you normally need to run Linux, plus as much RAM as your apps normally require.

You can also use Virtual PC from Microsoft, but I've never tried it myself.
    switching between them at reboot. you are right.

VMware may be not a perfect solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dezintop View Post
    switching between them at reboot. you are right.
    If you want to switch between them at boot, it's much simpler.

Go into Windows disk manager, and shrink your Windows partition to make space for Ubuntu.

Then run the Ubuntu installation disk/USB stick, and install it in the empty space.

Or, you could install a new HDD/SSD in your computer, and install Ubuntu on that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metacell View Post
    If you want to switch between them at boot, it's much simpler.

Go into Windows disk manager, and shrink your Windows partition to make space for Ubuntu.

Then run the Ubuntu installation disk/USB stick, and install it in the empty space.

Or, you could install a new HDD/SSD in your computer, and install Ubuntu on that.

Thanks for your guidelines. more detail will be more appreciated.

Beans

You can run virtualbox and run a virtual machine of Ubuntu inside of Windows. You'll need enough CPU and RAM to run both.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can run Ubuntu in Microsoft's very own virtualization product, Hyper-V:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vir...windows/about/

VirtualBox will not run on a computer that has Hyper-V enabled.
    Hyper-V is available on 64-bit versions of Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education. It is not available on the Home edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast