Thread: Keyboard, mouse & touchpad gone

Beans

Keyboard, mouse & touchpad gone

Been using Ubuntu for 2-3 years now on an Acer Aspire E5-511.

Was using 18.04, an update early September killed the keyboard, Bluetooth mouse & touchpad.

It is a known issue https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1894017

I found out how to boot using previous kernels and the 42 kernel worked fine but 45 & 47 did not.

I thought an software update to 20.04 might fix the issue but it did not plus I lost kernel 42. Laptop at this stage is a paperweight.

I downloaded the iso for 20.04 and installed new alongside the updated 20.04. New version worked fine until I tried to watch SpaceX launch via YouTube and I can't watch html5 video!

Ran software updater on new install. Which killed the KB, mouse & TP! Tried a wired mouse and on screen keyboard but html5 not happening. Watched SpaceX on phone.

I now have two versions of 20.04. Update version has no functioning kernels for the inputs. New install can be booted with working input devices but no YouTube html5.

So I'm left with 2 OS that don't actually work unless I plug in wired inputs and use phone for YouTube! Bit of a paperweight again.

As it's a known issue will an update eventually fix it?

My only workaround idea now is to scrub everything and start fresh with 18.04.iso, install VLC (which makes html5 work) but DO NOT RUN SOFTWARE UPDATER EVER.

Or, it's a move to another Linux OS.
    Thanks
    Tim

Beans

Re: Keyboard, mouse & touchpad gone

Keyboard issue is known, have you tried the fixes? The Html5 issue is weird since all browsers support it, have you installed ubuntu restricted extras( don't think it is needed)?

Beans

Tried all the given fixes but no go. As it's a known issue does that mean a software update will correct it one day or might I have to do a fresh install?

How long does someone wait with a more or less useless laptop, seven weeks ish so far.

I think I had the html5 issue with 18.04 but installing VLC cured it. That produced an html5 icon plug in on Firefox. I followed the YouTube error message to check my current Firefox which says all is good and everything works.
    It seems I'm not alone with this problem but the suggestions don't seem to be working for others.

Thanks for reading my long post
    Tim

Beans

For the keyboard issue, the fix should be soon as per the link. External keyboards/mouse do work(USB/wireless). I always install VLC as soon after an install and never had a Youtube problem(unknown if VLC helps), even with Opera which has problems playing videos from other sites.

Beans

Keyboard, mouse & touchpad all working!

Updated yesterday and all back to normal after a 3 month 'not working period'.
    Tim