Thread: cannot close program

Beans

cannot close program

I have been noticing that, sometimes, I can't shut down a program. This has happened with firefox, thunderbird and, now, livepatch. When this happens it also means that , again for instance, I am having problems typing this as things freeze. I have tried to shut down stuff from the program (which accepts nothing and is frozen), from the dock, and also tried to run system monitor which started, had the icon but wouldn't open. Basically my machine is in partial lockdown and there doesn't seem to be a damned thing that I can do. I am resisting just pressing buttons (always a mistake) but this is really frustrating. Oh, the livepatch box, that receives input, is also dimmed and will not go away. This little note took me 15 minutes to type.

It got so bad that I started pushing buttons. The only other thing I had open was Firefox. I shutdown firefox and, suddenly, the livepatch connection, through software and updates, shut down on its own. For me this means that I have a problem with firefox and will be paying them a visit. Still, any thought are welcome as this one is starting to really get to me.

I was finally able to goto software and updates, livepatch, and try to do the connect with the internet thing. It took me to ubuntu one. I filled out the stuff and then another box popped up that wanted me to destroy, apparently, my ubuntu one account. I bailed. None of this makes any sense.

I just went back into livepatch, via software and updates, pressed the livepatch button and it connected, then told me there were no updates to apply. I guess its working now but, then, who knows? Oh, there is also a livepatch icon on the top bar now. I guess I can mark this one as solved - amazing!

thank you..................
    Last edited by jgw; October 18th, 2020 at 06:30 PM.
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.36.3 OS: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: cannot close program

the xkill command is a good one for stopping errant programmes. Just type xkill into the terminal

Beans

thanks for the reply

I will give it a shot. When things go down, however, often the system is just locked up and only a re-boot fills the bill.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I find my system will tend to freeze up when it runs out of RAM, the internet uses loads these days with all of the badly programmed websites. I usually have to wait for a wee while, and then I am able to close something.

Beans

I find my system will tend to freeze up when it runs out of RAM,
    well how much RAM do you have ? and what desktop environment?
    reason i'm asking i got 4gig ram and i found that "normal" DE like ubuntu is too much for it ,hence i went for Xubuntu which is basically ubuntu with the xfce DE which is lighter on resources
    Last edited by 3nd; October 20th, 2020 at 07:21 PM.
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Assuming this, from the original post is the actual hardware in use the problem would seem to have nothing to do with lack of memory.

However, I see this is now marked as SOLVED and if it really is now solved to your satisfaction please tell us how; what was the solution?
    It is a great help to other users searching the forum.

Beans

I decided that my problem was with firefox who I am dealing with now. that being the case I made this one solved. I have been told that one should do that if the writer wants it to go away, even if its not solved. I suggested that there be other reasons for shutting it down but, apparently, this is the way it is. What can I say? If this isn't firefox then Ubuntu has a problem. If so, it will eventually get fixed (most do). I have been playing and building these things for more than 50 years so I am used to it. Computers are not like refrigerators and tv's. They are constantly changing and the changes don't always behave.

Thanks for all the responses!