Thread: What can I and should I recover and how can I do it

Beans

Question What can I and should I recover and how can I do it

I wanted to upgrade my Ubuntu to the latest LTS (Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS > Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS) but first got a warning that I would have to remove some ppa's

After I removed the kazam ppa the update was able to start - but stopped again after a while. I rebooted and tried again and it stopped again.
    After another reboot get to the gnome classic desktop I prefer but it does not react to the keyboard, the mousepad or the USB mouse I normally use so I cannot even log on.
    If I can get most of my own data out first I am OK with formatting the partition and starting again but how do I do this - I tried booting on a live Ubuntu USB stick but the first time I tried this it said that I did not have access to many of the files in my home folder (i tried to copy the whole folder to a USB disk) and when I tried again last night I could not even get the live Ubuntu to see the USB drive.

So how do I accomplish this and what should I copy?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What can I and should I recover and how can I do it

Duplicate. Closed.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.