Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 - Wifi keeps disconnecting

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 - Wifi keeps disconnecting

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*
    this command work for me. i restarted my pc as soon as it connected i used the command. i will retried this again to see if this was the problem.

Beans

I had this problem and finally traced it down. Verizon FiOS recently switched my wifi to self organizing network to automatically switch between 2G and 5G instead of them being two different ssid's. I could not change this on my FiOS router. I had to change if from myVerizon login. Once I disabled self organizing networks, I have not been prompted for wifi password. Prior, this was happening almost continuously. I think this feature has been rolling out slowly. Perhaps others will find this helpful.

Beans

I've been struggling with this same problem with my Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 chip in my dell latitude. I noticed that if I leave a ping job running to my router I didn't experience the problem. However, it is very intermittent, and I haven't pinned it down to any particular errors logged on my local system. So I suspect my issue may be with the arp on the router, and I'm trying the arp via cron to see if that works for me. I posted a suggestion on the arp thread for an improvement to that solution. However, this seems like such a hack.

I can say that I have a nearly identical laptop with an Intel wireless adapter (in fact, I cloned that system onto the problem laptop) and that system has no problems with wifi staying rock solid all day long. There's no significant software or configuration differences between the two (both are Ubuntu 20.04, up-to-date, etc.). I also have a dual-boot to windows 10, and although I rarely use it, I've never noticed a problem there.

Beans

In all previous Ubuntu versions I had the same problem with my Wi-Fi. I have fixed the Wi-Fi issue by creating a new config file in folder

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/

Create there the config file

wifi.scan-rand-mac-address.conf

copy the following content into it:

[device]
    wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Then restart your network via:

$> sudo service network-manager restart

For further information, see also: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9029...keeps-changing

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion, but for me this doesn't work... it took 10 seconds for the connection to drop.

Beans

Hello,

I'm still trying to figure it out if it's possible to fix my wireless issues. 2 weeks ago I spent a weekend at my parent's house and I noticed that my connection was not dropping at all. Not even once in 2 days. I run the wireless-info script there with working wifi and then I run it again here at home, where the issue is constant. Can anyone please look at the diagnostic files and help me figure out what's causing this?

I'm thinking of trying other Linux distros and see if the wireless issues would go away - but on the other hand since wifi worked on another network, is it possible that something is going on with my router?

Could anyone please advise?
    Thanks
    Daniel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

is it possible that something is going on with my router?
    Exactly!

Please start your own new question and I or one of my esteemed colleagues will be happy to help.

Here is a hint: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1321...322139#1322139

Your wireless may be struggling because there are two wireless access points with the same name and password. This is typical when you have a 2.4 gHz segment and a 5 gHz segment of the same router. Your wireless may be roaming, looking for a better connection. If this is the case, I suggest that you rename the access points; something like myrouter2.4 and myrouter5.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks Chili555!

Actually I opened this thread originally.. but of course I'm happy to open a new question if that's needed. If that's the case in which category should I post it in?

Thanks
    Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nemethda View Post
    Thanks Chili555!

Actually I opened this thread originally.. but of course I'm happy to open a new question if that's needed. If that's the case in which category should I post it in?

Thanks
    Daniel
    Pardon my misstep, please. I mistakenly posted with haste.

As my "shoot first, get the facts later" post implies, please try renaming the 2.4 and 5 gHz segments of your router and I'm pretty confident that the drops caused by roaming will be resolved.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Alternatively, add the MAC address of the respective AP in the BSSID section of your networkmanager profile

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast