Thread: Live USB displays grub boot menu even on non-uefi machines

Beans

Live USB displays grub boot menu even on non-uefi machines

Maybe I'm missing something? As I said the live image (via USB) now seems to only boot using the grub menu, like had been the case for UEFI hardware only.

I also can't get a live USB to boot at all on either Latitude E6400 or E6510 laptops. Even using F12 to display the boot selections does NOT show any media in USB. Same hardware works fine with Focal (and older) aside from some needed touch pad tweaks (best to just use a mouse for installation). I'll maybe try a DVD soon.

I've tested mostly Ubuntu MATE but in this case I get the same with Ubuntu and Lubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Live USB displays grub boot menu even on non-uefi machines

Groovy has changed to use grub for both BIOS & UEFI boot.

On my Gigabyte z170 system a flash drive created by Disk Image Writer in 20.04 booted in both BIOS & UEFI boot mode.
    Sudodus was looking for users who had issues, I do not.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1886148
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2447379
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Groovy has changed to use grub for both BIOS & UEFI boot.

On my Gigabyte z170 system a flash drive created by Disk Image Writer in 20.04 booted in both BIOS & UEFI boot mode.
    Sudodus was looking for users who had issues, I do not.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1886148
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2447379
    How can you tell now whether you've booted in UEFI or BIOS mode? I still have some old Intel boards that can be setup either way.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something? As I said the live image (via USB) now seems to only boot using the grub menu, like had been the case for UEFI hardware only.

I also can't get a live USB to boot at all on either Latitude E6400 or E6510 laptops. Even using F12 to display the boot selections does NOT show any media in USB. Same hardware works fine with Focal (and older) aside from some needed touch pad tweaks (best to just use a mouse for installation). I'll maybe try a DVD soon.

I've tested mostly Ubuntu MATE but in this case I get the same with Ubuntu and Lubuntu.
    @oldfred already answered the first point - refer https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/groov...tectures/16871

but providing specifics as to the release you are trying to boot (and if groovy, the date of the daily may also be helpful).

As for the latitude laptops, there are a number of bugs related to failure to boot, but without specifics as to your release, you may mean something different to what I'm thinking of (given I'm thinking of groovy but you may mean a different release, let alone the daily in question)

If issues relate to cdimages/cd-boot-images-amd64 etc, all flavors and main Ubuntu are usually impacted. Me, I test mostly in Lubuntu, but confirm issues using other flavors and main Ubuntu usually too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    @oldfred already answered the first point - refer https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/groov...tectures/16871

but providing specifics as to the release you are trying to boot (and if groovy, the date of the daily may also be helpful).

As for the latitude laptops, there are a number of bugs related to failure to boot, but without specifics as to your release, you may mean something different to what I'm thinking of (given I'm thinking of groovy but you may mean a different release, let alone the daily in question)

If issues relate to cdimages/cd-boot-images-amd64 etc, all flavors and main Ubuntu are usually impacted. Me, I test mostly in Lubuntu, but confirm issues using other flavors and main Ubuntu usually too.
    It is the daily images I'm talking about. Prior releases all work fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    How can you tell now whether you've booted in UEFI or BIOS mode? I still have some old Intel boards that can be setup either way.
    Code:
    test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
    See also this link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This may or may not be important re this particular query, but I have now two versions of groovy running in KVM as virtual OSs, both of which booted automatically as UEFI without any input from me.
    In both cases I just let the KVM system install by default and all was apparently good until grub failed to install as it should because there was no EFI partition.
    Being new to KVM, I was not aware that there is a choice of BIOS or UEFI when configuring the virtual disk at the start of installing.

My surprise, however, was that UEFI was the way it installed even if you took no action to chose that mode. Now I know about this it is easy to overcome this problem but it took me several attempts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    This may or may not be important re this particular query, but I have now two versions of groovy running in KVM as virtual OSs, both of which booted automatically as UEFI without any input from me.
    In both cases I just let the KVM system install by default and all was apparently good until grub failed to install as it should because there was no EFI partition.
    Being new to KVM, I was not aware that there is a choice of BIOS or UEFI when configuring the virtual disk at the start of installing.

My surprise, however, was that UEFI was the way it installed even if you took no action to chose that mode. Now I know about this it is easy to overcome this problem but it took me several attempts.
    That's a bit worrisome to me. Some of these older Intel boards I'm using offer the UEFI boot option but it's such an early version of UEFI it's really just junk. Like DG43xx and DB43xx which are circa 2009