Thread: RAID Options to Lessen Any Performance Hit?

Beans

Question RAID Options to Lessen Any Performance Hit?

I'm going to be setting up a Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise OS on an old (but powerful) Dell XPS PC. I will then be running Ubuntu Server on top of it using VirtualBox. I need to have redundancy on the Ubuntu Server (not as important for the Win10 host install, although it would be preferable). The computer will have 3 HD's - 2 x 8 TB and 1 x 10 TB. My question though is what is the best way to go about getting that redundancy to avoid any performance decrease/loss on the Ubuntu server?

I think the Dell XPS has fakeRAID (although not certain of this), so I could just use that and let the host OS handle the redundancy (and use the 10 TB drive as a backup/spare). Alternatively (or if it doesn't have fakeRAID), I could use Windows Storage Spaces (would probably need to use the 10 TB as a boot drive and the 2 x 8 TB for Windows Storage Spaces). Or I could set up two virtual drives (one on each of the 8 TB drives) and use mdadm to get software RAID directly on the Ubuntu server.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Marc-NJ; October 12th, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: RAID Options to Lessen Any Performance Hit?

If performance is important, use an NVMe SSD. Huge HDDs are terrible for performance and with RAID, especially fake-RAID, it will be worse. SSDs are profoundly faster. Put the guest OSes on SSD and only put data on slow HDDs.

Next, if you want a stable, fast, VM platform, use KVM, not virtualbox. There's lots of good reasons why commercial VM providers use KVM as the hypervisor. A little research will provide those. Vbox is fine for toy VMs. Not for production.

The hostOS should control the RAID, not the guests.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 13th, 2020 at 12:31 AM.