Thread: image of closed program shows on desktop sort of ghost image

Beans

image of closed program shows on desktop sort of ghost image

Just installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on an older computer for my niece
    When you close a program, (thunderbird, Files,Firefox, Libre Office) it disappears then the last image from the closed program will partially redraw on the desktop when you move the mouse sort of a ghost image of the last item. If you click on the desk top it disappears but can redraw several times before the image quits showing up in the background like wall paper. This is what the machine has for graphics
    display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 10
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:16 memory:fdf00000-fdf7ffff ioport:f400(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fd800000-fd8fffff memory:c0000-dffff
    Any ideas on what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: image of closed program shows on desktop sort of ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by keep-tryin View Post
    Any ideas on what could be causing this and how I can fix it?
    What's causing it is that the framebuffer - the region of memory used for storing the image for that part of the display - isn't being cleared when you exit the application. I couldn't tell you whether it's a bug in the driver, a bug in the window manager, or a bug in the application framework, though.

Trying a different desktop environment or a different version of Mesa (there are various PPAs with newer versions) might help you to narrow it down so you can send a bug report.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

I don't understand much about graphic drivers, but I did find some things that suggested turning off hardware acceleration in browsers is this something that might solve the problem and if so is there away to turn if off for everything?

Beans

installed xubutu-desktop solved the problem and is working fine. How would I file a bug report? This solution solved it for me but a bug report might help someone else.
    Thanks
    Linda

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello Linda,

You can find directions on how to report bugs here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Xubuntu is my favorite. The only downside is having to upgrade every three years, instead of five.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by keep-tryin View Post
    installed xubutu-desktop solved the problem and is working fine. How would I file a bug report? This solution solved it for me but a bug report might help someone else.
    Thanks
    Linda
    Glad to hear it's working for you now. Of the three things that I thought of as likely culprits that might cause that symptom, you're still using the same driver and the same application framework (Gnome and Xfce both use GTK), so the window manager seems like a likely cause. Gnome's window manager is, I think, Mutter.