Thread: What file does ubuntu boot from?

Beans

Angry What file does ubuntu boot from?

I'm following this guide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ion_Howto_2019
    and I finished every step but now when I go into my bios and boot from UEFI there's no files to boot from. I'm wondering if anyone knows what files I might need to get my computer to start up or if I should just do the normal disk encryption that ubuntu offers with the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What file does ubuntu boot from?

Welcome.

Have you installed in UEFI mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You haven't mentioned which release you're asking about.

The reason I ask this is many changes have been occurring in the groovy cycle, esp. with ISOs, but it's also impacted booting systems from disk too. The aim is to have all boxes & architectures more alike.

It might help if you're specific as to what release, and/or flavor (Lubuntu using `calamares` differs slightly too when explored from live post-install unless I'm fuzzy in memory).

Note: I'm no expert, others here are. I'm heavily involved with testing so regularly do QA-test installs, which includes booting a live media to validate the install is encrypted as expected. Once I see what I'm looking for I then boot & so it's only a quick glance without full understanding..

Beans

I'm using ubuntu 20.04 and just normal ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This guide is advanced. You would likely be safe without encrypting your /boot folder, which I think this goes to great lengths to cover. The automation itself doesn't require you to go into the BIOS at all regardless if you're using UEFI. I suggest you use the full disk encryption option in the installer. You'll need to check a box early in the setup.
    I'm the Sisyphus in security engineering.

Read about 14.04 ESM and Puppet inside of Docker Containers.