Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hdd size vs partition size

Beans

Re: hdd size vs partition size

You could create an new partition in your unallocated space and format it as an LVM physical volume with gparted. Then you are ready to try out LVM and not disturb your previous OS installation. That's how I began. I use LVM all the time now.

The first thing I followed to learn LVM for ordinary users was this:

http://www.tutonics.com/2012/11/ubun...de-part-1.html

The commands introduced there are still good but the GUI tool they mention doesn't exist anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Forum's search really on good on one term, so I use google or other search engine.
    Just append site:ubuntuforums.org to your search term
    Brilliant! I was pretty frustrated trying to search in the forums tool, but google does much better. And I never knew about appending the site. Great stuff! Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Unless you really know what you are doing, don't allow the same VG to cross physical disk boundaries. That can lead to data loss, unless the purpose is to use RAID1 that is controlled by LVM.
    Totally agree with the advice to not cross boundaries. One isn't likely to have too many VGs on a PC even at 1 per physical disk.

Reading stuff is great, but no substitute for creating a play area and trying LVM stuff there. I use virtual machines for this play area. The size of the storage really doesn't matter. A 100 MB LVM setup is just as good for learning as a 5TB storage area. With virtualization, you can keep 1 HDD or have 50 tiny HDDs to try stuff out.
    Great idea. I definitely need to start using virtualization. I've always just kept an old system around... but it takes up space and isn't always convenient so a VM would be much better. Tonight I made a list of the few files I need to preserve from this install, but the install is so new that it's a very short list. So re-installing now will be super easy.

People always ask for a GUI tool to help manage LVM. For a few years, there was one, but support for it died off. LVM is used mainly by IT professionals and mainly for servers, which don't have GUIs.
    I never like NOT having non-GUI access to the OS. But I started out on mainframes in the 80's... everything was a terminal. My biggest complaint with iOS is that you can't do ****. And the newer Windows seem to be heading that way.

My goal in life is to convince Oldfred to use LVM on all his systems. We each need to have a dream, right?
    You bet!

Thank you for all your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sukelis View Post
    Brilliant! I was pretty frustrated trying to search in the forums tool, but google does much better. And I never knew about appending the site. Great stuff! Thanks!
    Google-Fu is important.

Most search engines use a similar query language. I only use a few advanced options but almost always find what I need quickly.
    • +term must include that term
    • -term cannot include that term
    • -site:www.xyz.com cannot be from that site, the + can be used w/ site:, but it is redundant since site:
    • ....there's a way to limit the type of documents/files found - like pdfs or xls or help or images. I always have to look this up. This is good for tools like Shodan (a specialized search engine).

There are boolean operators, but those are seldom necessary.

For Ubuntu search, I would use "ubuntu +18.04 +{whatever}" for most things GUI related with 18.04 ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My goal in life is to convince Oldfred to use LVM on all his systems. We each need to have a dream, right?
    I am still working on converting some of my rsync backup to TheFu's suggestions (for years) of using rdiff-backup. I currently use rsync to multiple flash drives and sneakernet from old home in Illinois to condo in Florida. Does make for offsite backup every few months without using Internet which I prefer to avoid.

But as an old Engineer I believe in the Pareto Principle usually known as the 80/20 rule. And only need some 20% ? of my data encrypted. Most of my data (80%) is my music only from DVDs and photos. They do not need to be encrypted.
    I may then use LVM on one partition for encrypted data.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok I am officially ready to give up on this. I've spent way too much time trying to get lubuntu installed with LVM and I just can't get it to work. This is a desktop not a laptop so I'm not even trying to use encryption, just lvm. But the lubuntu installer doesn't offer it as an option and I just haven't been able to work around it. I can get as far as getting a pv and vg setup and recognized by the installer, but then there is no option for creating lv's and the NEXT button is greyed out. I can sit there and admire my nice disk layout, but that's pretty useless.

I finally tried doing some searching specifically on lubuntu and it seems that the installer is known to have issues with LVM. Examples here, here and here. I suppose I should have done that searching earlier but I was just so sure the problem was that I didn't know what I was doing, so I just kept working at it. What's that old saying... of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most? Sadly true for me.

So the new plan is to install lubuntu in a regular partition and then setup lvm on the rest of the SSD. And then just learn to live with it that way. I do have lvm setup on the HDD, so that's all set.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just install Ubuntu-Mate, then add the LXQt environment later, if you like. Adding another DE is about 5 minutes for the packages to download and install. It is a single command, then logout, pick the other DE and login.

I bet you'll like Mate. I know 20.04 Ubuntu-Mate installer supports LVM. I'm using it. I just accept the defaults for "Use LVM on whole disk", then, post-install, I reduce the "root" LV to 25-35G, create a "swap" LV of 4.1G, and create a "home" LV of whatever I need, usually start with 25-50G, if I have the space.

Anyway, that's an option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12