Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibernate Problem

Beans

Hibernate Problem

Can’t hibernate, can’t suspend the system. The system has swap file and it is working. Tried many treads in search of a remedy but to no avail. My last attempt was with this post. Again no success. So the result from following that last post is that when I finally ran the command 'sudo hibernate' I got the display to quickly go blank and then return to what it was beforehand. I get also 'hibernate:Warning: Tuxonice binary signature file not found' and nothing else happens. I am running Asus 1201n with Lubuntu 20.04. I have also posted this issue here . Any ideas for a remedy?
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by kirk8kurtis; October 7th, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Hibernate Problem

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2432961

Also works for Lubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Beans

Hibernate does not work on 20.04

Can’t hibernate, can’t suspend the system. The system has swap file and it is working. Tried many treads in search of a remedy but to no avail. My last attempt was with this post. Again no success. So the result from following that last post is that when I finally ran the command 'sudo hibernate' I got the display to quickly go blank and then return to what it was beforehand. I get also 'hibernate:Warning: Tuxonice binary signature file not found' and nothing else happens. I am running Asus 1201n with Lubuntu 20.04. I have also posted this issue here . Any ideas for a remedy?

Beans

Initially I have posted my question there (where your link is pointing ) but a moderator has moved it. Anyway I tried these instructions and I get that annoying message in the end and that's it. Note: I use swap file.
    Suggestions?
    Last edited by kirk8kurtis; October 7th, 2020 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My link refers to systems with a swap partition. I've never been able to get hibernate to work with a swap file, sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hibernate does not work on 20.04

Try this:

https://askubuntu.com/a/1241902/684141

Hibernate does work in Linux, but you have to do some fiddling about first dependent on your distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Creating an installation CD does not involve the black arts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Threads merged. Please do not post duplicates about the same problem.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can’t hibernate, can’t suspend the system.
    Hibernation and suspension are very different and should NOT be confused.
    Suspension is fine, works flawlessly almost everywhere provided the correct graphics drivers are installed and in use.
    Hibernation is a security risk and has other issues. It was REMOVED from the default installations of any major Linux distro Windows. That must mean something, don't you think?

The system has swap file and it is working
    For hibernation - again, SHOULDN'T be used - a swap partition is recommended instead of the now default swapfile and it must be as large, preferably slightly larger, than RAM.

I am running Asus 1201n with Lubuntu 20.04
    Your netbook has NVIDIA ION graphics.Have you installed Nvidia graphics driers? If so, which version?

Beans

For hibernation - again, SHOULDN'T be used - a swap partition is recommended instead of the now default swapfile and it must be as large, preferably slightly larger, than RAM.
    I got 3GB of RAM and 4GB of swap space.

Your netbook has NVIDIA ION graphics.Have you installed Nvidia graphics driers? If so, which version?
    No, I haven't installed any.

Ok. I am new to linux but I am very used to hibernation function in windows so aside from security issues, can you give me pointers on how to get the Hibernate and Suspension working? You say suspension is working however I get the same results regardless of which of the two commands I ran: 'sudo systemctl suspend' or 'sudo systemctl hibernate'. So far the display just goes OFF but the system is still ON and the disk led is not flashing so I assume no I/O. Furthermore I cant wake it from this state. The only thing left is to hold the power button to power it off and power it on again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Open Additional Drivers, install Nvidia 340.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast