Thread: Legacy Dual Boot - 2 Drives - Adding Windows 10 Questions...

Beans

Legacy Dual Boot - 2 Drives - Adding Windows 10 Questions...

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this, and please forgive the noob(ish) nature of my question.

I have a 20.04 box running, it is an older Gigabyte motherboard so I'm legacy bios only as far as I understand.

I was just given a 250gb SSD with Windows 10 installed on it (licensed with key sticker attached). I know nothing of the drives origin, I assume it was installed in a system prior but that is purely an assumption and no way to find out.

Is there any way to set up dual boot with this?

Cheers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Legacy Dual Boot - 2 Drives - Adding Windows 10 Questions...

If Windows 10 was installed in UEFI mode - it probably was - then no, you won't be able to even boot it directly let alone in a dual-boot in a BIOS machine.
    And Windows almost always has problems booting in a different hardware - Linux is a lot more forgiving - often requiring a repair. In most cases there's really no point in doing that because a fresh installation is always preferable. Furthermore there's a license issue. If what you have is a retail license then you can reinstall and reuse that license in yours, as long as at any given time it's installed in only one computer. If, however, it's an OEM license then no, you can't reuse it. OEM licenses are tied to the original hardware.

Beans

Re: Legacy Dual Boot - 2 Drives - Adding Windows 10 Questions...

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.