Thread: No display output after installing driver

Beans

No display output after installing driver

Hi,

I am running Kubuntu Groovy on my desktop and have been for 2 months now.
    Some days ago I was trying to use with this computer the docking station I use with my work laptop, so that I could be able to easily switch between the work laptop and personal desktop.

I installed the docking station driver (it's a Dell D6000) and upon rebooting, the screen went black as if it was receiving *no signal at all*. Shortly afterwards, the message (from the monitor's firmware) "Input signal out of range. Change settings 10 1440x900 - 60 Hz" appeared.

I tried installing the proprietary video driver (I have an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT) to no avail. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Nouveau-firmware package and the Nvidia driver (nvidia-340), but nothing.
    I tried deleting .local/share/kscreen and all its content, but that didn't help.

When running xrandr I get:
    Code:
     sudo xrandr
    Can't open display
    when manually running startx, if I have the nvidia driver installed I get to open a desktop session, that has a res of 640x400 and it's hence unusable and resolution cannot be modified;
    if I run startx using Nouveau - which I have happily used since forever - I don't even get to open a video session and the screen goes pitch black right away.

Any ideas about how I might get out of this dead end? I'm really stuck at this point...

Thanks a lot for any help.
    Ale
    Last edited by alessandro-tocci; October 7th, 2020 at 06:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No display output after installing driver

Groovy isn't released. The Development Release sub-forum is for yet to-be-released stuff, yes?
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/05/...lease-features says we have to wait a few more weeks.

Beans

Re: No display output after installing driver

Hi theFu, thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that this is a development version and there's a dedicated sub-forum for that, but when I checked the guidelines it said the purpose of that part is "the development of the upcoming version" where I didn't feel my case belongs. Apologies if I'm wrong, I was feeling more like the "hello, I messed up with my 10-years-old hardware and now I'm stuck" case with an easy solution.
    However, the display is now working without any further intervention - will mark this as resolved. Thank you