Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dual boot problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The dual boot problem

I have built a new computer and duly installed Ubuntu after Windows 10 and have lost the GRUB dual boot option. You all know this I realise but does anyone have a simple low-tech solution? At the moment I have to reconfigure my boot options to get into Windows.
    I tried making the CDRom the first option and sticking a Win10 Rescue Disk in there but it doesn't give me the option to proceed to Windows.
    Something involving a USB stick?

TIA
    I have AMD Ryzen 5 3400G on a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO motherboard, 16GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM. Two WD Blue SN550 1TB SSDs in M.2 slots. First SSD has two partitions, 500 Gb Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 20.04 on other, second drive (NTFS) used as storage.

Beans

Re: The dual boot problem

Did you lose the ability to boot to Windows when you installed Ubuntu? That's strange, since Ubuntu usually handles Windows quite well.

Does the Grub boot menu show up and Windows is missing, or does the boot menu not show up at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No sign of the dual boot menu on startup - I did install Ubuntu last.
    From Googling I know it is a problem because of something called EFI which is the latest Windows boot option.

Thanks for responding.
    I have AMD Ryzen 5 3400G on a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO motherboard, 16GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM. Two WD Blue SN550 1TB SSDs in M.2 slots. First SSD has two partitions, 500 Gb Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 20.04 on other, second drive (NTFS) used as storage.

Beans

I'm not sure what stage you're at. Do you have a lot of data and everything already set, or are you free to play with stuff?

Judging by your sig: "1st drive partitioned for Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 - both 64bit, 2nd as storage.", I'll take it you have 2 drives.

When I installed Ubuntu a while ago, I tried a few times and partitions and mucked things up a bunch of times... I've found the following to be pretty good for not messing things up.

1. Install Windows on Drive 1
    2. Install Ubuntu on Drive 2 (Note, Ubuntu installer was pretty stupid when I did it as I had to do the 'advanced' install just to use the second drive. So you do have to create the partitions manually. Be sure to create a second EFI partition on Drive 2 for ubuntu)
    3. As for storage, in my case, I don't need a lot of shared storage. That is the Windows Drive has the rest as NTFS. The Ubuntu drive has the rest of space as ext4. But once your base drive is configured you can resize and play with all of that.

I find this pretty solid. If one EFI partition breaks, you have the other one on the other drive. It's happened to me once or twice, and makes everything a bit easier. People say sometimes Windows mucks around with UEFI, in this case, if it does so, it will only muck up the EFI partition on it's own drive.

Then on BIOS, you of course choose the drive you want to boot from.

Yes, U lose a few hundred MB as you duplicate the EFI partition, but you have a TB drive... space is cheap these days.
    Last edited by yaminb; October 5th, 2020 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So you can see the grub menu, but it doesn't show Windows, and you can boot Ubuntu? And you can boot Windows by going through the UEFI menu? Sounds like a classic case: grub-update didn't detect Windows. Have you disabled FastStartup in Windows?

Beans

Can you boot windows by accessing the windows option in the BIOS? A default preinstalled windows 10 will be UEFI so did you install Ubuntu UEFI also? You can post more details about your system by using boot repair which you can download on Ubuntu from the link below. Use the 2nd option described on that page using the ppa and after downloading it, run it only with the option to Create BootInfo Summary and post the link you get when it finishes here. That will give members more details on your system and hopefully enable someone to suggest a solution.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First of all let me apologise for not updating my signature with the actual computer I am using and not the one in the cardboard box in my bedroom!

I can easily swap between Windows and Ubuntu by going into the BIOS and changing the boot sequence, that is my situation at the moment and, truth to be told, I can live with it. But I wondered if there is something I can put on a USB drive that l;et's me choose on start-up.

Thanks to all responders.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is annoying, my signature isn't updating. My current computer is this:

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G running on a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO motherboard with 16GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM. There are two WD Blue SN550 1TB SSDs in M.2 slots. The first SSD has two partitions of 500 Gb each with Windows 10 running on one and Ubuntu 20.04 on the other partition, second drive (NTFS) used as storage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Panawe View Post
    This is annoying, my signature isn't updating.
    The text of your sig is exactly the same as the text in the signature field of your profile. Obvious question: did you remember to click on the "Save Signature" button under the Edit Signature editor in the Settings -> Edit Signature page? If you save your edited signature, the new text will appear in all old posts that were made when you had text in your signature field.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Test!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast