Thread: proprietary drivers for radeon r9 270x

Beans

proprietary drivers for radeon r9 270x

Hello,
    The ubuntu 20.04 open drivers give problems with radeon r9 270x video card. I searched for proprietary drivers on the amd site and the newest ones don't support my card (I also tried to install them without success).
    The last ones that support it date back to 2015 and support up to ubuntu 15. Can I install them? I have seen guides for installing these with ubuntu 16.04: with 20.04 I will risk something?
    I also tried the oibaf / graphics-drivers, which works well, but are testing / unstable drivers, right? Or are the oibafs reliable?
    Thank you

Beans

Re: proprietary drivers for radeon r9 270x

Quote Originally Posted by dome78 View Post
    The last ones that support it date back to 2015 and support up to ubuntu 15. Can I install them? I have seen guides for installing these with ubuntu 16.04: with 20.04 I will risk something?
    No. DO NOT try to install fglrx/Catalyst/Crimson on Ubuntu 20.04. It will not work (Xserver version is too new).

If oibaf works for you, then use it. Perhaps you can switch to Ubuntu's 20.04.2 kernel/X/mesa HWE stack when Canonicall rolls that out, if you don't want to update so frequently.

Beans

Thanks. I will risk something with oibaf? I don't want to wait for 20.04.2 (early 2021).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can try (almost) risk free if you previously install 'ppa-purge'.
    If it doesn't work then use ppa-purge against the Oibaf PPA and it should 1) get back everything installed from the PPA to their original versions and 2) remove the PPA.

Beans

Ok thanks