Thread: Some questions about apt...

Beans

Some questions about apt...

I am using Ubuntu 20.04. I have installed texstudio, Gummi, LibreOffice, Bluefish, Sagemath and Chrome. I upgraded the system like 4 times like this:

Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt autoremove
    And I never purged/removed anything!!

As you can see, I forgot to pass the --purge argument to autoremove, --purge gets rid of the setting files under /etc/.

My questions are:

(0) Are there any residues(left-over) files under /etc/ now ?

(1) Will there be any orphan packages if I only upgraded the system with the apps mentioned above (I never purged/removed anything) ?

(2) Do the packages I mentioned above create setting files under /etc/ ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Some questions about apt...

Have you tested the scenario? What happens?

Questions of this sort are best answered by the manpage for each program. The behavior could change over time and since apt is still warning that it isn't a stable interface and shouldn't be used in any scripts/automation, we probably shouldn't use apt in any scripts or automation.

The apt manpage contains this:
    Code:
           autoremove (apt-get(8))
               autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
               installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no
               longer needed as dependencies changed or the package(s) needing them
               were removed in the meantime.

You should check that the list does not include applications you
               have grown to like even though they were once installed just as a
               dependency of another package. You can mark such a package as
               manually installed by using apt-mark(8). Packages which you have
               installed explicitly via install are also never proposed for
               automatic removal.
    So, it appears that apt autoremove just implements apt-get autoremove.
    Code:
           autoremove (and the auto-remove alias since 1.1)
               autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
               installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no
               longer needed.
    There isn't any mention of purge being an option to autoremove. The apt-get manpage has this:
    Code:
           --purge
               Use purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed. An
               asterisk ("*") will be displayed next to packages which are
               scheduled to be purged.  remove --purge is equivalent to the purge
               command. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Purge.
    So it appears to be undocumented what using --purge does with autoremove.
    I wouldn't worry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by automate-stuff View Post
    My questions are:

(0) Are there any residues(left-over) files under /etc/ now ?

(1) Will there be any orphan packages if I only upgraded the system with the apps mentioned above (I never purged/removed anything) ?

(0) You might be thinking of "/var/cache/apt"
    (1) deborphan will find orphans.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

-1: I never run those commands as a bundle. Each one of them gives feedback, which I use to decide whether to run the next command in the sequence.

0: If apt autoremove removed anything, there may be residual config files. You should be able to tell from the output it gave you. If you didn't pay attention, ask dpkg:
    Code:
    dpkg --list | grep '^rc'
    If you never removed anything, the only way apt autoremove could have removed something is when apt upgrade upgraded a package that changed dependencies. This happens usually with kernel upgrades, about once every two weeks, and very rarely on other occasions. Note that kernel packages don't actually contain such config files, so although they may be marked as "remove, remaining config", they've been completely removed. Still, you can purge them to get rid of the clutter in dpkg's output.

1: apt autoremove should remove such orphans, if you have any. And maybe it's not clearly documented, but apt autoremove --purge does exactly what you'd expect.

2: At least TeX and LibreOffice put stuff in /etc. I don't know about the others.

Beans

So lets say I removed a package without removing its config file....running the following command will show that package: ?

dpkg --list | grep '^rc'

In other words, dpkg has a logging system that keeps track of removed packages ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes. The package manager (which is a bunch of tools working together with a database) keeps track of the status of every package. This status can be
    - not installed
    - installed
    - configuration files only
    and several others that only appear during installation or after your package management tool crashed. dpkg --list lists all packages with their status and grep '^rc' filters the output of dpkg to show only those packages with status rc, which means desired status remove, configuration files remaining.
    Last edited by Impavidus; October 6th, 2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For fun, on a 20.04 mate-desktop, I found a package with dpkg -l|grep '^rc' that I was willing to purge. It had already been removed, but left the config files behind.

The package was openvpn. Inside /etc/openvpn/ was only 1 file - a route-update script. Ran
    Code:
    sudo apt purge openvpn
    answered 'Y'
    and the /etc/openvpn/ directory and all files inside were gone.

I'm willing to completely purge these packages too: network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn update-notifier. They are already remoted, just the config files aren't.
    rc network-manager-gnome 1.8.24-1ubuntu2 amd64 network management framework (GNOME frontend)
    rc network-manager-openvpn 1.8.12-1 amd64 network management framework (OpenVPN plugin core)
    rc update-notifier 3.192.30 amd64 Daemon which notifies about package updates

Code:
    sudo apt --purge autoremove
    didn't do anything, so the config files are not considered removable.

Code:
    $ sudo apt purge network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn update-notifier
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      network-manager-gnome* network-manager-openvpn* update-notifier*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 254754 files and directories currently installed.)
    Purging configuration files for network-manager-gnome (1.8.24-1ubuntu2) ...
    Purging configuration files for update-notifier (3.192.30) ...
    Purging configuration files for network-manager-openvpn (1.8.12-1) ...
    To me, hardly seems worth the effort. The most useful aspect of this is that dpkg doesn't show the 'rc' packages with the config files gone anymore. Hummmmmm. That is slightly interesting.