Thread: Having difficulties installing Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows 8.1 (GRUB)

Beans

Having difficulties installing Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows 8.1 (GRUB)

I'd like to install Ubuntu 20.04 on the same drive where my Win8.1. For Ubuntu I want a full disk encryption with Luks/LVM. Additionally I want to install the Ubuntu boot loader (kernels/grub menu) on an external USB stick. The goal is to boot Windows normally without the USB stick present but when I plug in the USB drive it should boot Ubuntu 20.04 instead. Does anyone tell me how to archive this? This is what I tried but it failed to boot properly and I ended up in a Grub prompt (Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported...)

1. I started Ubuntu with the Live-CD
    2. I created the disk encryption with cryptsetup

PHP Code:
    cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda6
    cryptsetup luksOpen 
    /dev/sda6 box
    pvcreate 
    /dev/mapper/box
    vgcreate cryptbox 
    /dev/mapper/box
    lvcreate 
    -n root -L 30g cryptbox
    lvcreate 
    -n home -l 100%FREE cryptbox 
    3. Then I ran the "Install Ubuntu 20.04" ubiquity installer
    4. I choose "Normal installation" without Internet connection and "Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware..."
    5. On screen "Installation Type" I choose "Something else" to get into the partioning dialog.
    6. There I mapped /dev/mapper/cryptbox-root to / and /dev/cryptbox-home to /home
    7. For "Device for boot loader installation:" I picked my external USB stick which is on /dev/sdc1
    8. On "Installation Complete" I clicked "Continue Testing" to return to the terminal once again

PHP Code:
    blkid /dev/sda6 (needed for crypttab later on)

mount /dev/mapper/cryptbox-root /mnt
    mount 
    /dev/mapper/cryptbox-home /mnt/home
    mount 
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/boot
    chroot 
    /mnt
    mount 
    -t proc proc /proc
    mount 
    -t sysfs sys /sys
    mount 
    -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
    nano 
    /etc/crypttab

box UUID
    =<from blkid on sda6none luks 
    10. Then
    PHP Code:
    update-initramfs -k all -
    (Here I didn't see any useful output)

11. Exit terminal and reboot

But I only into a Grub> prompt. Can anyone help where I went wrong? I want the start-up kernel(s) on my external USB drive only root and home directories on my normal hard drive. BTW, did I miss /boot somewhere? I thought the installer is taking care of it.

Any hints and help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Having difficulties installing Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows 8.1 (GRUB)

You should not need /boot on USB flash drive, but if UEFI system, you need an ESP - efi system partition, FAT32 with boot/esp flags. Windows uses 100MB, but Linux suggests 300 to 500MB but more for future use or multiple installs, or systemD-boot which puts most of /boot into ESP.

Ubuntu's Ubiquity installer only installs grub to ESP on first drive, usually the ESP that you have for Windows. You probably have to manually reinstall grub either command line or with Boot-Repair and remove the /EFI/ubuntu folder in the ESP on internal drive and remove the UEFI boot entry that boots from the Windows ESP.

External drives only UEFI boot from /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi which is what was used to boot live installer. But full install of grub to external drive needs both /EFI/Boot and /EFI/ubuntu to have the additional grub files.

Be sure to mount & decrypt your encrypted volumes, so Boot-Repair can correctly see your system. Its advanced mode can let you install grub to another drive if ESP exists on that drive.
    Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Having difficulties installing Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows 8.1 (GRUB)

Quote Originally Posted by grailswebdev View Post
    4. I choose "Normal installation" without Internet connection and "Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware..."
    Remember that the only way you can install third-party software during the install process is by downloading it. You can't do that if you have no internet connectivity. It's downloaded automatically by the installer, but only if you're connected.
    Metal: System76 Wild Dog, 64-bit, 4-core Q9650 3GHz, 8 GB ram.
    Graphics: PNY Nvidia GF106 [GeForce GTS 450], driver Nvidia v. 390.138.
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04.4. Drives: a 1-TB SSD & a 960-GB SSD for storage.
    I use: Vim, not gedit; Zsh, not bash.