Thread: thumbnail images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

thumbnail images

i have often seen many people post thumbnail images. i tried doing this about a year ago and never succeeded. so i have just put them on my website and posted the URL. but the thumbnail method makes it obvious there is an image posted. can someone give some reliable instructions for that? also, what is the size limit in case that was the issue.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: thumbnail images

You mean how to set attachments?
    When posting a new post, any reply to thread option except the Quick Reply option should have an advanced toolbar in the editor.
    One option is the paperclip icon.
    That's the attachment utility.

Basically when inside the attachments utility you want to click on the Add file in the top right corner and then select the file you want from your computer and select it to upload it and it will automatically get attached to the post.
    I think you can attach up to 5 images per post.

You can see a quick list of max file sizes and what file types are acceptable clicking a little blu(ish) question mark icon right above the Add file button in the attachments utility.
    most image file types have a max of 976KB.

Hope that make sense.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

i don't see "Add file" in the top right corner. so i put a screen capture online here.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This the editor toolbar
    Screenshot from 2020-10-01 01-36-58.png
    Do you see the paperclip icon in the toolbar? It's on the top row toward the right.
    Clicking on it opens the attachment utility window, which will have the Add files option i mentioned.
    The attachment utility window is a popup window. It should open above the current browser window.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

let's see if it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There you are, it worked!

Good, isn't it, and very easy?

Beans
    Distro

it reduced the resolution of the image, which was 1920x1080. it is now 1024x576. it think i will continue using my website to post images in the original size.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    it think i will continue using my website to post images in the original size.
    Please do not do that. Large images are inconsiderate of those with limited bandwidth and inconsiderate of those using mobile devices to view the forum. If you post large images hosted off-site, forum staff will reduce the images to hyperlinks or convert them to thumbnails.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

OK, then i should do both, adding the URL saying to get full resolution, go here.