Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to GRUB ?

Beans

Re: What happened to GRUB ?

@oldfred I feel like you take me for an idiot ...

Okay, let's tell the truth: I'm a former Void linux developer & forum moderator, so I'm not a beginner ...

Groovy Gorilla is just broken on some computers, that's it.

Have a good night.
    Last edited by cr6; October 7th, 2020 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.
    Still broken.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    So it seems that the installer wants to create an EFI system partition (at least in VirtualBox, maybe also in a real computer) even when you intend to boot in BIOS mode. Interesting :-/
    I tested several scenarios today and following are my observations.

1) Groovy ISOs now default to GPT partitioning scheme by default (for erase and install).
    a) If we booted in BIOS mode, this will create minimum three partitions, 1M 'BIOS grub', 512M as 'EFI System Partition' for /boot/efi and remaining for /.
    b) If we booted in UEFI mode, this will create two partitions, 512M as 'EFI System Partition' for /boot/efi and remaining for /
    c) If we are doing manual partitioning, it is not mandatory to create a BIOS grub partition. Just and EFI partition and root partition is sufficient.

2) Focal ISOs default to MBR partitioning if booted in BIOS mode and GPT if booted in UEFI mode. However, I noticed, for BIOS mode, Focal will offer following partitioning scheme,
    a) during install but before grub-install: 512M as W95 FAT32 (/dev/sda1) and remaining for / (/dev/sda5, extended partition)
    b) after grub-install: 512M /dev/sda1 will change time to ef (EFI FAT 16/24/32). It will be mounted as /boot/efi (or /target/boot/efi during install).

@cr6,
    Please create an EFI partition (200M should be enough, no formatting required) when you want to install.

Beans

It appears they have given up trying to fix this for 20.10: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1893964

The last post - at this moment:
    Given that there is a warning presented for this situation we've decided to same this for fixing in the HH release of Ubuntu.
    The "HH" reference is to the next release - 21.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I thlnk that the result of this is that my attempt to install GG to replace an installation of FF in a dual-boot environment with another FF on a Lenovo laptop with a /boot partition just won't work. Is that right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12