Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: after xubuntu 20.04 install remove unused mount points

Beans

after xubuntu 20.04 install remove unused mount points

I recently installed xubuntu 20.04 but the install left 2 unused mount points on my desktop. I tried "sudo rmdir /media/lou/'mount point name' with no joy - when the mount point was unmounted it was not found and when it was mounted (and empty) it was busy. These items are doing no harm but are cluttering my desktop. How can I remove them?

EDIT: further research tells me that the mount points are in the /etc/fstab file and must be edited out - I don't feel up to that job (still noobish after several years as a Linux user) and would really appreciate some help...
    Last edited by lou6; September 28th, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

Beans

Re: after xubuntu 20.04 install remove unused mount points

@lou6, that's easy. Just do

Code:
    sudo pico /etc/fstab
    ... and put a # in front of the two lines with the mount points.

Then press Ctrl-x to exit the editor, press y when it asks you to save, and press Enter to confirm the filename.

# is used to make a line into a comment. You only need to be careful to comment out the right two lines.

Beans

Tried that and xubuntu failed to boot (/swapfile missing, although I DEFINITELY did not comment out the swapfile entry - not that much of a noob!). I reinstalled xubuntu 20/04 LTS and now have four mount point artifacts on my desktop. I've installed xubuntu from dvd several times since 2014 and have never had a problem like this before.

Beans

Tried once again to remove the unnecessary mount points without success - had to reinstall yet again after another failure. I'm still hoping for help to remove these items...I now have 5 useless mount points on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you doing a fresh reinstall? Or are you selecting some option to install side by side?

Beans

I'm doing a fresh reinstall each time as I try various ways to remove the mount point icons. When I fail, xubuntu won't boot and I must reinstall. I would post a .jpg of my desktop but don't know how. Each mount point appears as a hard drive symbol (a rectangular box) with text below that says "537 MB volume" or "538 MB volume". When clicked they open a box that says "folder is empty". When right-clicked, they unmount but the icon remains on the desktop. There is no option to delete them. Each time I reinstall a new icon is added.
    Last edited by lou6; September 29th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

post the contents of the fstab, please.

btw, use sudoedit to edit system files. That is the safest method.

Beans

fstab looks normal to me now (since I just reinstalled and system is running properly). Problem is, how to get rid of the strange icons. Or, I can just ignore them...

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda8 during installation
    UUID=23ddbab0-e1eb-4ff3-8c66-29a444090b60 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=6CB1-5EBF /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
    /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

I've been using nautilus-admin to edit system files since gksudo died.
    Last edited by lou6; September 30th, 2020 at 01:02 AM.

Beans

This morning when I booted up I had nothing on my desktop except the top panel - no folders or icons anywhere on the desktop. My wife's screen was normal and working properly. This happened once before in my six installs of 20.04.

I reinstalled xubuntu 18.04 (which had run fine for years). Strangely enough, the six useless icons (537 MB Volume) are still on the desktop.

I'll stick with 18.04 and see what develops with 20.04. Rebuilding my system from scratch takes from 1.5 to 2 hours and I can't do this every day (or sometimes more than once a day).

Thanks in advance for any future help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

issue is unrelated to fstab. 100% gui problem. to troubleshoot gui stuff, create a new user account and see if the problem happens in that account too. If not, then it is specific to 1 user account settings. Those are stored in the HOME.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast