Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warning! The 195.86 GiB filesystem mounted at / has only 656.12 MiB of free disk spac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Warning! The 195.86 GiB filesystem mounted at / has only 656.12 MiB of free disk

Copied the plexmediaserver with this command:

Code:
    rsync -avP /var/lib/plexmediaserver/ /media/3TB-Black-laptop-size/plexmediaserver
    Then deleted it with
    Code:
    rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    Made a link to the new place /media/3TB-Black-laptop-size/plexmediaserver

I had to uninstall Plexmediaserver and install it again from the .deb package. It worked then.

But I don't think that is what was taking up the room.

Webmin still shows this:

Warning! The 195.86 GiB filesystem mounted at / has only 653.51 MiB of free disk space

Only getting a little space deleting things.

Thinking more of just reload this fresh. Takes about a day to get it all set up like it was.

Plex is "Refreshing guide data: Initializing" I guess it was doing that when the boot SSD ran out of space.

-Raymond Day
    Last edited by Raymond Day; September 30th, 2020 at 04:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Warning! The 195.86 GiB filesystem mounted at / has only 656.12 MiB of free disk

post #15 above is likely correct. do that. The space being used is probably hidden underneath a mount.

The point of the du|sort is so you don't waste lines with unimportant data here. No need to clutter posts.

I run plex. There are settings to reduce the storage of extra data in /var/lib/ .. but 18G isn't much for all "optimized" media, posters, and other imgs created for pretty ffwd and rev feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Warning! The 195.86 GiB filesystem mounted at / has only 656.12 MiB of free disk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Day View Post
    How do I edit that?
    -Raymond Day
    Use a file editor, preferrably nano because of its simplicity.
    Just enter
    Code:
    nano <filename>
    , then you edit it, then press Ctrl+S Ctrl+X to exit, and you're good. You should probably remove all the snap lines too.
    If it errors out with command not found, do apt install nano, that will fix it. Also, try moving /home to an external disk and editing FStab to mount it at boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The safest way to edit all system files is with sudoedit. There are multiple reasons for this fact. You can chose any editor you like to be used. On Ubuntu, nano is probably the default, pre-selected, editor. But if you want, you can have it use gedit or geany or vim or **any** editor that an end-user might prefer. Just set the EDITOR environment variable to which ever editor you like. Put it inside the appropriate startup file - often ~/.bashrc:
    Code:
    export EDITOR=geany
    from that point on, when you say sudoedit /etc/fstab, it will use geany to safely edit the file.

However, if there isn't a GUI running, then geany or gedit or kate won't work. On a desktop, that shouldn't be any issue.

People trying to be helpful sometimes forget important details, like when to use sudo and when when not to use sudo. They do this thinking that everyone is using the same setup they use. We see this with people who use VPS a bunch. They don't know that the root account is disabled on Ubuntu, so we don't have root logins. Further, it is against Ubuntu Forums policy to provide the commands to enable the root account. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    For editing system files, sudoedit will handle that for us automatically. When editing personal files, just run the edit you prefer, or get it from the menu or right-click on the file and the EDITOR environment variable should be honored by the file manager to launch the EDITOR command specified.

Sometimes the short answer isn't the best answer for any particular need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I ended up reinstalling it fresh and it took me about all day to set it up. I still have to set up Plex and /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini so I can drag and drop videos in my WordPress. Then that should be it.

Now when I look at the space on the boot drive I have a lot left. This time too when I installed it. I unchecked "Set up this disk as an LVM group" That's how I had it on my old server. Ubuntu 18.

Code:
    root@rayday:~# df -h /
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb2       1.8T  3.8G  1.7T   1% /
    root@rayday:~#
    That's more like it 1% used. Or 3.8GB out of 1.8TB It's a 2TB SSD or M.2 stick.

Wow this was a hard one never found out what was using all that space.

-Raymond Day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I love nano it is so easy to edit files.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123