Thread: USB no boot filename recieved

Beans

USB no boot filename recieved

I made a bootable USB stick on windows https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

I got to step 4 here https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...sb-flash-drive

I pressed f10 as my computer was starting and I went to the boot menu and clicked the boot device, I got "no boot filename received"
    Last edited by bob1111; September 29th, 2020 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: USB no boot filename recieved

It appears something went wrong when creating the live disk. Did you check the .iso for errors after download (can be skipped if downloaded via torrent)? How have you created the bootable disk? Your first link doesn't work.

Beans

I have fixed the link for how I created the bootable disk. I have not checked the .iso for errors.
    Last edited by bob1111; September 29th, 2020 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

If you use torrents then you don't have to check the integrity. The torrent protocol checks data as it downloads

Beans

I have installed BitTorrent, but I am a laymen. I don't know what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BitTorrent is a 20 years old technology. Not knowing how to use is almost the same of not knowing what a smartphone is...
    But don't worry. The torrent suggestion was regarding the downloaded ISO integrity that is guaranteed if this technology is used instead of the "normal" download. Users here in cases such as yours tend to mention the possibility of a corrupt download that although possible is so rare nowadays (and users typically notice when there's a problem during the download process).

I'm 99% sure the problem is not the ISO you downloaded but the specifics of 1) using Rufus and 2) settings on the target computer. So, here goes another history lesson: Almost all computers from the last decade have UEFI, the new motherboard firmware, instead of the old (1981) BIOS. And since 2012 Microsoft mandated that all manufacturers provide preinstalled Windows in UEFI mode and GPT partitioning.

So, finally, your non-booting USB was likely made with the Rufus' default settings, the settings that works for old BIOS only. Unfortunately the official tutorial doesn't mention this detail - it needs "UEFI/GPT" - nor it mentions a lot of other small details that users NEED to know before attempting to install Ubuntu, like disabling Secure Boot and Fast Boot and in some cases changing the SATA mode to AHCI where the default is "RAID" or Intel RST.