Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your opinion on Snaps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Do they? I have always found that the Snap version of (insert software here) doesn't run as fast as just installing it from the Software Repos.

I don't really mind Snaps. I actually like the idea quite a bit. A non-distro-specific version of software that runs in it's own container, is a great idea. The problem I have at this point, is that they seem to have some issues with functionality, and they run slow.

MakeMKV's Snap, for example, will not allow me to access mounted drives. The Ubuntu PPA version works just fine, and loads up faster.
    This is because snaps are containerized. I thought you said it was a great idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In certain applications snaps are quite useful. SWMBO would be beyond upset if she lost the use of Shutter. Shutter is available in 18.04 repos, it is not available in 20.04 repos. I've tried alternatives but she has her work flow down with shutter so not an easy switch - AT ALL. She will stay on 18.04 for the foreseeable future but eventually she's going to have to upgrade, probably to 22.04. Shutter as a snap will do what she needs to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    MakeMKV's Snap, for example, will not allow me to access mounted drives.
    You need to set the removable-media permission to allow the snap access to removable media. You can do it in the Snap Store or with the snap command. Already covered in the previously-linked thread.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    This is because snaps are containerized. I thought you said it was a great idea.
    Well, it is a great "idea." At this point in the Snap's "life-cycle" it's just not implemented very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You need to set the removable-media permission to allow the snap access to removable media. You can do it in the Snap Store or with the snap command. Already covered in the previously-linked thread.
    Oh. That's good to know. Got any tricks to speed them up?
    I've been pretty lucky so far. All of the software that I use is in the Repos, or has a PPA. So, it's really not an issue for me, per se.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    wouldn't that also be possible with packing binaries and libraries together? like Linux portable applications. for example Tux Cart does it like that. you just unpack and run.
    Or blender

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    In certain applications snaps are quite useful. SWMBO would be beyond upset if she lost the use of Shutter. Shutter is available in 18.04 repos, it is not available in 20.04 repos. I've tried alternatives but she has her work flow down with shutter so not an easy switch - AT ALL. She will stay on 18.04 for the foreseeable future but eventually she's going to have to upgrade, probably to 22.04. Shutter as a snap will do what she needs to do.
    For focal you can get shutter form this ppa.

Beans

I prefer flatpak to snap, seems cleaner in that you don't have to mount a bunch of volumes and you can control access to file systems for all flatpak apps with a unified, simple to use interface (flatseal)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I prefer flatpak to snap, seems cleaner in that you don't have to mount a bunch of volumes and you can control access to file systems for all flatpak apps with a unified, simple to use interface (flatseal)
    I have heard a lot of good things about Flatpak's, but have not really needed to use any yet.

What I am hoping doesn't happen, is "exclusivity." Kind of like platform specific titles on video game consoles. You know... you can't play Halo on a Playstation... Currently, some Snap Software exists that is not available anywhere else than the Snap store. Now, this could be due to the author not wanting to have too many different ways for people to get the software (PPA's, GitHub, etc.) But it could cause exclusivity... i.e. You can't run (insert software here) as a Snap, it's only available in Flatpak (or vice-versa.)
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I watched a video not long ago, anyone can create a snap, flatpack or appimage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I watched a video not long ago, anyone can create a snap, flatpack or appimage.
    And anyone can create a DEB file.
    What's your point?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12