Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: What is your opinion on Snaps?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    13,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Do they? I have always found that the Snap version of (insert software here) doesn't run as fast as just installing it from the Software Repos.

    I don't really mind Snaps. I actually like the idea quite a bit. A non-distro-specific version of software that runs in it's own container, is a great idea. The problem I have at this point, is that they seem to have some issues with functionality, and they run slow.

    MakeMKV's Snap, for example, will not allow me to access mounted drives. The Ubuntu PPA version works just fine, and loads up faster.
    This is because snaps are containerized. I thought you said it was a great idea.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,940
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    In certain applications snaps are quite useful. SWMBO would be beyond upset if she lost the use of Shutter. Shutter is available in 18.04 repos, it is not available in 20.04 repos. I've tried alternatives but she has her work flow down with shutter so not an easy switch - AT ALL. She will stay on 18.04 for the foreseeable future but eventually she's going to have to upgrade, probably to 22.04. Shutter as a snap will do what she needs to do.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny Southend-on-Sea
    Beans
    7,969
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    MakeMKV's Snap, for example, will not allow me to access mounted drives.
    You need to set the removable-media permission to allow the snap access to removable media. You can do it in the Snap Store or with the snap command. Already covered in the previously-linked thread.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Beans
    472
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    This is because snaps are containerized. I thought you said it was a great idea.
    Well, it is a great "idea." At this point in the Snap's "life-cycle" it's just not implemented very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You need to set the removable-media permission to allow the snap access to removable media. You can do it in the Snap Store or with the snap command. Already covered in the previously-linked thread.
    Oh. That's good to know. Got any tricks to speed them up?
    I've been pretty lucky so far. All of the software that I use is in the Repos, or has a PPA. So, it's really not an issue for me, per se.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,369

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    wouldn't that also be possible with packing binaries and libraries together? like Linux portable applications. for example Tux Cart does it like that. you just unpack and run.
    Or blender

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,369

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    In certain applications snaps are quite useful. SWMBO would be beyond upset if she lost the use of Shutter. Shutter is available in 18.04 repos, it is not available in 20.04 repos. I've tried alternatives but she has her work flow down with shutter so not an easy switch - AT ALL. She will stay on 18.04 for the foreseeable future but eventually she's going to have to upgrade, probably to 22.04. Shutter as a snap will do what she needs to do.
    For focal you can get shutter form this ppa.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,369

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    I prefer flatpak to snap, seems cleaner in that you don't have to mount a bunch of volumes and you can control access to file systems for all flatpak apps with a unified, simple to use interface (flatseal)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Beans
    472
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I prefer flatpak to snap, seems cleaner in that you don't have to mount a bunch of volumes and you can control access to file systems for all flatpak apps with a unified, simple to use interface (flatseal)
    I have heard a lot of good things about Flatpak's, but have not really needed to use any yet.

    What I am hoping doesn't happen, is "exclusivity." Kind of like platform specific titles on video game consoles. You know... you can't play Halo on a Playstation... Currently, some Snap Software exists that is not available anywhere else than the Snap store. Now, this could be due to the author not wanting to have too many different ways for people to get the software (PPA's, GitHub, etc.) But it could cause exclusivity... i.e. You can't run (insert software here) as a Snap, it's only available in Flatpak (or vice-versa.)
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hartford City, Indiana US
    Beans
    1,367
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    I watched a video not long ago, anyone can create a snap, flatpack or appimage.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    2,864
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What is your opinion on Snaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I watched a video not long ago, anyone can create a snap, flatpack or appimage.
    And anyone can create a DEB file.
    What's your point?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •