Thread: Open raw files in Gimp/Darktable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Open raw files in Gimp/Darktable

Hi all, I just did a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04, installed Gimp (2.10) from software center, and Darktable (latest version 3.2.1 in software center, which is a snap). The raw files are .nef as I have a Nikon camera.

If I try to open the file with gimp, Gimp loads but I then get two error messages:
    - gimp-file-load error openng file /tmp/gimp/2.10/gimp-temp-49461.tif no such file or directory
    - plug-in Raw Nikon could not open the image

It doesn't seem that when I open the image from Gimp it gest first opened in darktable, as it should be.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by LK_gandalf_; September 27th, 2020 at 01:21 PM.
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Open raw files in Gimp/Darktable

Is your gimp installed as the snap version?
    Run command
    snap list
    to see if gimp is listed.
    Snaps can limit the use of files, depending on where those files are stored in the file system. I do not use snaps so can not give you more detail, but if you do have the snap version you can also install the deb version with command
    sudo apt install gimp

Beans
    Distro

yes it appears in the snap list:

darktable 3.2.1snap1 59 latest/stable kyrofa -
    gimp 2.10.20 297 latest/stable snapcrafters -

I uninstalled the software center version and installed from terminal as you suggested. Now when I open the raw file "open with gimp" it opens in darktable first and I see the image (which is a step forward!), but when I then close Darktable (and at this point it is supposed to open in gimp), I still get the same two errors as above.
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans

I'd go look in the directory where the temp file is supposed to reside.
    Code:
    cd /tmp/gimp/2.10/
    Does the directory exist? Do you see anything in it like gimp-temp-49461.tif?

Are you running out of space in the root partition? Run "df" to find out.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Hi, indeed I see no files in the tmp folder. I have space on the disk
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans

It might be a function of using a snap. I'd remove the snap version of GIMP and install the regular version. See if that helps.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users