Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it true that ubuntu's updates are slower to be released than fedora's updates?

Beans

is it true that ubuntu's updates are slower to be released than fedora's updates?

i'm asking because from what i could notice, the firefox updates are slower to come in ubuntu
    in fedora i got a new version of it much faster...

thanks
    my desktop computer has Ubuntu 22.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: is it true that ubuntu's updates are slower to be released than fedora's updates?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat

Different distributions have differing methods of reviewing package updating.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: is it true that ubuntu's updates are slower to be released than fedora's updates?

Sometimes it'll be faster. Sometimes slower
    As bugs are reported and resolved, if they are significant then the package will be updated sooner rather than later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I personally prefer that Ubuntu takes two or three days when it comes to updating Firefox. There have been regressions in the past with the rapid release cycle and Ubuntu has dodged these issues by waiting. Occasionally Ubuntu has skipped a version to avoid issues. This is simply personal opinion but I really don't mind waiting a short time when it comes to a package I consider to be critical to my daily use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Turtle vs hare question. Pick whichever you prefer.

Beans

It is true. Fedora follows a different update schedule and gets newer software.

Ubuntu on the other hand will come with little older software because of a different update schedule and the software is made for stability (like Debian but with little newer software).

Beans

thanks!

i could already see some bugs in firefox on fedora when trying to delete the whole history - it wasn't clickable
    my desktop computer has Ubuntu 22.04 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With regard to Firefox, it's not a matter of using old software for stability. Firefox is updated frequently to try to keep a step ahead of the bad guys, so the distributors sometimes have to hustle to keep up.

What does matter is the amount of resources the different distributors have to expend on the testing.

Canonical, the distributor or Ubuntu, employs about 500 people.

Fedora, although a nominally independent distro, has behind it the full weight of Red Hat, its engineers and its testers. Fedora is, after all, the test bed for Red Hat.

800lb gorillas get some things done more quickly than marmosets.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You can choose to add Personal Package Archives (PPAs) to get cutting-edge software. Here's the official PPA for Firefox: https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+...u/firefox-next
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Usually Firefox updates come in in a couple of days after a new version is released. I got Firefox 81 early this morning. I really don't mind the short wait just in case there is an issue. Versions have been skipped because of problems in the past and I appreciate that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast