Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internal drive partitions listed as removable

Beans

Question Internal drive partitions listed as removable

I just installed Lubuntu today on an HP Stream laptop. At the drives setup page there was no option to "Erase disk" so I manually partitioned swap, UEFI, and the remaining space as an ext4 mounted to /. I finished the install. While ejecting a USB drive that I used to transfer an image, I noticed that my UEFI partition and main partition were listed as "Removable Media" in the taskbar widget. Is there any way to set the drives to non-removable in Terminal so they don't appear in the widget?

This is my first experience installing any Linux distro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Internal drive partitions listed as removable

What release of Lubuntu are you talking about?

The last four releases of Lubuntu use the LXQt desktop, and installs by default don't install swap by default; most users don't use it using Lubuntu as it's light & fast on modern hardware, though for others like myself with older or less powerful hardware swap is of huge benefit. Swapfiles though are usually used over swap partitions though as easily changed (enabled/disabled/erased/created).

Releases prior to the last four, or Lubuntu 18.04 LTS & before used swap partition however, however even 18.04 could use swapfiles too.

Your question as to removal, I'd like to know your desktop & release details (legacy? modern?)

I'll provide some Lubuntu links too, in case of benefit

Lubuntu Manual - https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/
    Lubuntu Links page - https://lubuntu.me/%20links/
    Lubuntu's main page - https://lubuntu.me/

If I knew your release, I'd probably have also provided the release notes, as some release notes do cover clues to get around conditions where the "Erase disk and install*" doesn't show.

Beans

I'm running 20.04, the newest LTR as far as I know. The computer I'm running it on is new, but low spec. I installed swap in the partition setup because I figured it'd lighten the load on 4 gigs of RAM. Swap is the only of the three partitions that doesn't show up.

The desktop is stock 20.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The EFI and root partitions shouldn't be listed as removable storage (but may be listed as such while in the live session). To get some data, try
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    cat /etc/fstab
    findmnt
    Run those commands in a terminal and paste the output in the forum in code tags, like I did above.
    Last edited by Impavidus; September 26th, 2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fintmnt -> findmnt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Run those commands in a terminal and paste the output in the forum in code tags, like I did above.

Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="6f4ff2e9-1301-42f2-a5e1-a2e2d1986931" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="5c35c774-b345-d14a-8323-32d2e69b02aa"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="3A51-BAA6" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="9d974070-ebe7-a445-a4a1-81098e315869"
    /dev/mmcblk0p3: UUID="d9128124-7c5a-4d79-b247-3391b515eb8f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="beed86cf-e23a-c641-8073-341b88b10940"

Should I consider reinstalling or tackle each issue? Other than these, the machine works fine.
    Last edited by argon-1511; September 26th, 2020 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is a setting in the fstab for each mount that can make them not show up in any GVFS-type GUI program. I don't know if Qt supports that or not. It would start with x- ..... in the fstab. Need to see the actual fstab file to be more specific.

BTW, Lubuntu is NOT "stock ubuntu". It is "stock Lubuntu" which is very different from a GUI perspective. Some libraries are different too, because Gnome isn't the preferred toolkit, Qt is. That shifts all sorts of things over to the KDE way of working. To lesson RAM use, best to choose the KDE options.

Hibernation is out of favor for a number of reasons. Standby is preferred. Neither should be used if you care about security without every specific limitations. For example, never use standby or hibernation when moving a system between buildings.

Beans
    Distro

And the other two commands? Note that I fixed a typo in one of them. I never see any mounts that I configured in fstab show up in any GUI tools (in particular thunar), just setting mount options to defaults (more or less).

Hibernation is a different issue and I suggest one issue per thread, as it's unrelated. But hibernation only works if you first enable it and it's indeed out of favour, so maybe you don't want it fixed at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    And the other two commands? Note that I fixed a typo in one of them. I never see any mounts that I configured in fstab show up in any GUI tools (in particular thunar), just setting mount options to defaults (more or less).

Hibernation is a different issue and I suggest one issue per thread, as it's unrelated
    . But hibernation only works if you first enable it and it's indeed out of favour, so maybe you don't want it fixed at all.
    Fair enough, other issue stricken from thread.

Other two commands:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
    # be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
    # disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
    UUID=6f4ff2e9-1301-42f2-a5e1-a2e2d1986931 swap           swap    defaults   0 2
    UUID=3A51-BAA6                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
    UUID=d9128124-7c5a-4d79-b247-3391b515eb8f /              ext4    defaults   0 1
    Code:
    TARGET                                SOURCE     FSTYPE OPTIONS
    /                                     /dev/mmcblk0p3
    │                                                ext4   rw,relatime
    ├─/sys                                sysfs      sysfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/kernel/security              securityfs securi rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup                    tmpfs      tmpfs  ro,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/unified          cgroup2    cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd          cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb          cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event       cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct      cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio            cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer          cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory           cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset           cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/devices          cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma             cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/pids             cgroup     cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/fs/pstore                    pstore     pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/firmware/efi/efivars         efivarfs   efivar rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/fs/bpf                       none       bpf    rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/kernel/debug                 debugfs    debugf rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/kernel/tracing               tracefs    tracef rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/sys/kernel/config                configfs   config rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ └─/sys/fs/fuse/connections          fusectl    fusect rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    ├─/proc                               proc       proc   rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc          systemd-1  autofs rw,relatime,fd=28,pgr
    ├─/dev                                udev       devtmp rw,nosuid,noexec,rela
    │ ├─/dev/pts                          devpts     devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,rela
    │ ├─/dev/shm                          tmpfs      tmpfs  rw,nosuid,nodev
    │ ├─/dev/mqueue                       mqueue     mqueue rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ └─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs  hugetl rw,relatime,pagesize=
    ├─/run                                tmpfs      tmpfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ ├─/run/lock                         tmpfs      tmpfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexe
    │ └─/run/user/1000                    tmpfs      tmpfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,relat
    │   └─/run/user/1000/gvfs             gvfsd-fuse fuse.g rw,nosuid,nodev,relat
    └─/boot/efi                           /dev/mmcblk0p2
                                                     vfat   rw,relatime,fmask=007

Beans
    Distro

Most of it looks OK, but the line in your /etc/fstab for your swap partition is a bit weird. That may confuse the file manager, that's supposed to list the various filesystems except those listed in /etc/fstab. For comparison, my /etc/fstab wasn't modified since a fresh install of Xubuntu 20.04 back in July and has this line for the swap partition:
    Code:
    UUID=7a68be87-d091-478c-8165-47d994cd9c06 none            swap    sw              0       0
    The swap partition isn't really mounted, so its mountpoint is set to none. Type is swap, options sw, dump and pass are set to 0. There's no filesystem, so no need to check it on boot or set a read-write option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 on swap --> none for the mount point and
    +1 for the last '2' being a '0' for both swap AND the EFI partition. The meaning of those numbers is spelled out in the fstab manpage, BTW.

I don't know that order of the file is important, but may try moving the swap to the bottom, so if there is any issue with that line, the other lines shouldn't be impacted or misinterpreted.

I didn't check the UUID --> device mapping. I haven't used UUIDs in some time because with LVM, the paths don't change and those paths are useful for humans, unlike UUIDs. If not using LVM, I suppose UUIDs is the next best method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast