Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios update with Lenovo Ideacentre 510/510A Series but not using Win?

Beans

Bios update with Lenovo Ideacentre 510/510A Series but not using Win?

As of right now on my Lenovo Ideacentre 510/510A Series I am using Windows 10 64 bit. but I have to ask.

I looked at the directions for HP as how to update the BIOS and found at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682 this line

Update the BIOS manually from a USB Flash drive (outside of Windows)

However with my Lenovo it seems to only possible to update the BIOS while using Windows.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...me=BIOS%2FUEFI

While I know if I switch my HP computer to Linux I can still update the BIOS without using Windows 10 64 bit.

I have wonder about my Lenovo if for sure only possible to update the BIOS within Windows. Different wording but same meaning. I want to know if anyone verified that or not and what the truth is (yes only from Windows. Nope can with the help of Wine) for my Lenovo.

This will help me if I decide to switch to Linux on my computers. Not saying that I can't add a second HD to my Lenovo so that one drive has to be Windows and the other is my primary OS and turn dual boot (for ex running Windows only when updating BIOS)

Please and thank you
    Last edited by trpted; September 10th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.

Beans

Re: Bios update with Lenovo Ideacentre 510/510A Series but not using Win?

No one knows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by trpted View Post
    No one knows ?
    No one knows because they probably do not have your PC and, even if they had your PC, they haven't yet considered your dilemma.

Anyway, you've already answered your own question by thinking about adding a second drive for Ubuntu.

One drive for Windows and one for Ubuntu - Boot from UEFI boot screen and no worries about grub.

Out of curiosity, have you contacted Lenovo and asked them how to update UEFI firmware without Windows?

Also, have a look here https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=lenovo

Beans

While only asking about it, will consider asking them too.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

While only asking about it, will consider asking them too.

Thank you
    I hope that Lenovo provide you with sound and pertinent advice.

As a matter of interest, Lenovo are no strangers to Ubuntu as they are going to sell some of their PCs with Ubuntu pre-intalled.

Therefore, I imagine they must have considered how to update UEFI without Windows?

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/06/...lenovo-laptops

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...ta-scientists/

Beans

I asked via their fourms. REF https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/English...p/Community-EN

Does asking them on their forums count or should I ask them some other way? If some other way, how?

I prefer online as one of the reasons I am not a good talker.

Please and thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Using Lenovo forums may yield some useful info.

You could also contact the vendor. However, if they are simply a box shifter, it could be a frustrating.

Is there not a Lenovo website contact where you are situated?

Direct contact with the manufacturer would provide the best results if you can get to the right department/person.

Beans

After pressing contact us, it ask what kind of product it is: PC, Mobile, Data Center and Smart.

If I press PC, I am given these options:

#1 Search by product name, serial number or machine type

#2 Signup or Log-in

#3 Browse by product or Auto Detect Serial Number.

So I selected auto detect serial number for example, after it detect it my options for contacting them are only these: Check repair Status, Consult our forums, Incorrect Warranty Stats and Find a Service Provider (Find the nearest authorized service provider to service your system).

If Selected browse by product, I browse for it - I am also given

Speak with Technical Support (Connect with one of our technical experts).

So if I copied that URL down https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/C...Us/Callback_US

If I go there with the other web browser Window or tab that went through auto detect serial number, that Callback URL tells me for the exact same product (ID = 510A-15ICB Desktop (ideacentre)):

The current product is not supported
    Expect that if I paste in my serial number at the page that gave to me Check repair Status, Consult our forums, Incorrect Warranty Stats and Find a Service Provider, it stops giving the option of Technical Support.

And if I try to go that Callback URL, again it tells me

The current product is not supported
    What the bleep?

Based upon what I am trying to do, it should not matter that my Warranty has expired. Warranty as far I know is for repairs only. Boy oh boy am I am mad! And I will tell them on their forum too as well if I get a call back after making sure not to tell paste in the serial number.
    Last edited by trpted; September 13th, 2020 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The episode you describe is frustrating yet not unusual for multinational companies.

Here's an idea, based on UEFI upgrades being important.

Remove the internal Windows hard drive.

Purchase a new hard drive, pop it into the PC, install Ubuntu and leave the frustration behind.

If, in the future, you feel you need to upgrade UEFI, put your Windows drive in the PC, update UEFI via Windows.

For the small cost of a bit of hardware, it may be worth consideration.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

However with my Lenovo it seems to only possible to update the BIOS while using Windows.
    Have you actually tried?

UEFI updates itself. The helper application they provide just sets things up so that the UEFI knows where the file is and reboots into the mode where it automatically installs the update, in case the setup screen is too intimidating.

You can generally achieve the same thing by going into the UEFI setup yourself, telling it to update, and pointing it at the update file. You'll need to have put the file somewhere that the UEFI can read from, like the ESP or a FAT-formatted USB stick.

Note that updating the UEFI will reset all the settings to defaults so, if there's a setting that you need set a particular way, make a note of it and remember to change it back after the update's done.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast