Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I mean, why though?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I mean, why though?

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I've gone the other way. I probably troll the news websites too much in my free time. The way I see it privacy of any kind is an illusion. If they want something, they will get it. I've said this before. Too many companies caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Costs them less to pay a fine than to actually do what they tell you they do. No real incentive for them not to when the payoff is pretty much a guaranteed homerun. By the time you've got your privacy locked (theoretically) then the internet has become almost unusable because your privacy addons block the majority of the content. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No way to win.
    Ultimately, you're being tracked no matter what you do. If your OS is not tracking you, then your browser is. And if your browser isn't, the web-service you are logged into is. And, if for some reason you don't use web-services, your ISP is tracking your usage. So, you can't use Windows 10, Google Chrome, and Facebook, without all three services tracking your usage.

Linux (as a general rule) at least leaves out the OS tracking. If you choose to use a browser like Chromium, Brave, or Vivaldi (and many of the DE Browsers like Konqueror) your tracking is minimized.

But it seems to me that Edge on Linux would be a way of "Maximizing" your tracking online. It's a way of connecting your to Microsoft's tracking without having to use Windows.

So, I will say it again... I mean, why though?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just thinking out loud, one word comes to mind, presence. They lost the mobile market, almost the console war, now ' the empire strikes back'.
    Be everywhere, azure, xcloud, windows, browser etc. With the internet running on (l)unix, a whole pool of programming power in that realm
    hanging around making free linux distributions and programs, android, apple, google being linux based, it is only a matter of convergence. The only
    OS that has to be turned is Windows itself and making sure their pool of paid services is everywhere. Omnipresence. I think it will be 'easier' if the
    underlying core of everything is (l)unix based. And of course if you have edge browser on linux it will probably very easy to run any of microsofts
    services on your linux os without having to convert the linux adepts to windows. (Yes, I contradict myself, but my crystal ball can't see if windows
    wil turn (l)unix) Their new philosophy is that whatever hardware or os you use it doesn't matter, they will be there also.

Tracking is a cat and mouse game which is peanuts compared whats at stake for the coming years I think. But that's another ramble I won't go
    into for now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I mean, why though?
    The only OS that has to be turned is Windows itself and making sure their pool of paid services is everywhere.
    MS unpaid services as well, just like Google. Unpaid doesn't = free.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I tried it on Windows 10, was nice and fast. I'd like to *try* it on Linux/Ubuntu too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    MS unpaid services as well, just like Google. Unpaid doesn't = free.
    MS wants to sell their products, hardware and services, as to a consumer. Google scrapes and profiles you for advertising, you're the product.
    Slight difference in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ayesc0tty89 View Post
    I tried it on Windows 10, was nice and fast. I'd like to *try* it on Linux/Ubuntu too.
    And your current standard browser is?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The only reason not to use the Edge browser is that it would attain a large part of the market and then it would introduce features that were limited to their browser and then they could force websites to follow that standard and you would need to use Edge to go on the internet. That happened in the past. But it's unlikely now so it's a matter of taste. If you want to be tracked by MS instead of Google it really is up to you. And if you think Linux protects your privacy, well again that depend on your own behavior.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I've gone the other way. I probably troll the news websites too much in my free time. The way I see it privacy of any kind is an illusion. If they want something, they will get it. I've said this before. Too many companies caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Costs them less to pay a fine than to actually do what they tell you they do. No real incentive for them not to when the payoff is pretty much a guaranteed homerun. By the time you've got your privacy locked (theoretically) then the internet has become almost unusable because your privacy addons block the majority of the content. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No way to win.
    I agree with you. The problem is that everything we do online is tracked.

If you log into any web-service, (Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Etc.) that web service will track your usage while you are on their site.
    Your ISP is tracking your usage.
    Your cell provider is tracking your usage.
    Even your OS is tracking your usage. i.e. Windows and OSX. Hopefully not Kubuntu Linux.

The primary problem I have with Edge, is that I don't want Microsoft to track my usage ON TOP of what's already being tracked. And I avoid that by using Linux, and Brave.
    Microsoft Edge has no place on the Linux Desktop. The only saving grace is that it isn't being rammed down my throat the way Windows 10 does it.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would never willingly participate with Microsoft if I can help it.
    Anything they've dug into, is through subterfuge and sneaky manipulations.

They'll win a few battles, but not because I rolled over and died.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234