Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I mean, why though?

Beans

Re: I mean, why though?

"Reason for Microsoft to do this" is the same thing that drives All of Microsoft, widening the market share. I could see some value in cross browser testing for web apps, even though it would likely be different than native MS Edge because the underlying OS is different,. It's a real PITA firing up a VM just to test MS browser compatibility.

Beans

The new Edge browser is Chromium based.

https://www.howtogeek.com/509148/mic...now-available/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/22/2...ctober-release

Microsoft wants to bring Edge to Linux?

Why?

Can anyone give a good reason for Microsoft to do this?
    Guess, as with industry, completion drives development.

I hardly ever use Windoz so can't comment on Edge, Firefox is my browser of choice but appreciate it is competition with Chrome and the old IE that got Firefox where it is now.

Think with all programs the danger is too many bells and whistles that they may become overly complicated. For some obscure reason Firefox's latest incarnation for mobile devices has put the address/search bar at the bottom initially, it then seems to switch to the top. Guess some developer somewhere thought it was a great idea.

Geoff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I will not touch it. I'm tired of everyone having to have their own thing. If I want a Chrome based browser... I'll use Chrome. Same with distros. I get sick of threads of this nature on various forums. "What's the best Ubuntu based distro?"... Ubuntu you moron.
    Mint users might take issue with your last statement. It's nice to have options.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post

https://www.howtogeek.com/509148/mic...now-available/
    LOL! This is an age old argument. If it's chromium based, so why not just use Chromium? That changes the argument to specific "features" that the web-browser has. In which case, what possible features could Edge have that Firefox / Chromium / Chrome / Brave / Opera / Vivaldi / Etc. doesn't?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    LOL! This is an age old argument. If it's chromium based, so why not just use Chromium? That changes the argument to specific "features" that the web-browser has. In which case, what possible features could Edge have that Firefox / Chromium / Chrome / Brave / Opera / Vivaldi / Etc. doesn't?
    You could make the same argument for Brave, Opera, Vivalda. Why use them instead of Chromium.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I see no argument in this statement so it really does come down to features. I'm using Iridium at the moment and in the past week have used Chrome / Brave / Opera / Vivaldi/Edge also.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Perhaps you should be asking why not? If they want to release an Edge browser so be it. Linux I thought was all about choice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Isn't it kind of asking the same question as "I wonder if anyone will use powershell now that's it's cross platform."

Some will, some won't.

I rarely use Edge, but I have to test against it at work. That means I will need to keep a separate install around for "old edge" and "new edge" to make sure stuff works as it should.

Though, I hope they stick to standards better since they are switching over to Chromium instead of an IE base.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If Microsoft provides the backward compatibility with IE then there could be a use case advantage for some users. The software ecosystem is slowly changing, Microsoft only dominates the desktop these days. Android, Mac OS and Linux are not going away and Microsoft knows this. To remain relevant their apps need to run on other platforms. Who would have ever thought you could use MS Office online running Linux? They are a business after all and other business's do rely heavily on their software. I don't imagine everyone jumping over to Edge but who knows?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast